Report Available: MS Patch Status Report

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

MS Patch Status Report

http://software.bigfix.com/download/bes/customreports/msPatchesScreenshot1.JPG

Description:

This report gathers the depolyment status of Microsoft Patches, creates a table summerizing patch deployment details (source release date, computers patched, etc.) and makes a graph displaying the 10 most recent patching totals.

Archiveable/Mailable:

Yes

Required BES Sites:

Enterprise Security

*Updated 4/20/07 - changed wording for more clarity

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

I like this report, but after going through the code I didn’t see how you specified “workstation”. I would like to edit this so I can also do “server” What line did I miss?

Please keep these type of things coing out.

Sorry, “Enterprise Workstation Patch Status” is a terrible title. It actually makes no differentation between servers and workstations. The report was originally based on a custom report for a specific customer and used their terminology. I will update it shortly.

(imported comment written by rdamours91)

This report was exactly what I was looking for…

If there was a pulldown to filter by location or groups, in my case “school name by ip”, it would be absolutely perfect.

We would like to generate reports for individual sites and give them a status of what they have paid for.

It’s a great overview though of our whole implementation…

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey rdamours,

You can filter this page per school if you would like. Simply go to the filter creation mechanism on left side of of the web report page (towards the top) where you create a filter per school (based on a “school” or “location” retrieved property) and the results will be broken down for each school. You can then save the report for each school.

Ben

Is the “patched computers” number actually the number of non-relevant computers or is it the number of computers that have actually applied the patches through BigFix?

Hey jnharry,

“Patched computers” is specifically the number of computers who became relevant, then became nonrelevant, for a specific MS patch. This is effectively the number of computers patched, however a computer could be patched through some means other than bigfix, say by hand, and it would still appear in the “patched computers” column.

-Zak

(imported comment written by rdamours91)

I used the built in filtering and the report works great…

Any additional reports that you provide would be great…

Besides using the WebReports filter how would one go about filtering the results to a retrieved property and computer group? I ask because I’m working on a patch report that needs to parse out the workstations and servers as well as >40 different computer groups. I’m guessing I’m going to have to make 80 calls but if I can figure out how to filter the calls I think I can code the table into the format I want. Any help is appreciated.

The final result I’m looking for is something like

Patch OS Type PatchedRegion1 RelevantRegion1 …

MSxx-xxx Workstation

MSxx-xxx Server

(imported comment written by StacyLee)

Nice Report. However I can’t get it to email out. The message gets to my inbox w/o the graphic. Does it work for anyone else or should it work?

You’re probably seeing the Preprocessing vs Javascript issue: http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=1379

Hello Zak, I had a question:

I’m trying to modify the report to output dates that are sortable e.g. YYYY/MM/DD. Looking at your code you seem to use:

“(if (exists results whose (exists last became nonrelevant of it) of it) then (((date (local time zone) of it) as string”

to retrieve the source release date. It doesn’t seem to always be accurate and I was wondering why you used that over the “source release date” property. I tried replacing it with:

“(year of it as string & “/” & (if (length of it =1) then (“0”&it) else it) of (month of it as integer as string) & “/” & (if (length of it =1) then (“0”&it) else it) of (day_of_month of it as string)) of source release date of it”

but I can’t get it to work. In the presentation debugger:

“(year of it as string & “/” & (if (length of it =1) then (“0”&it) else it) of (month of it as integer as string) & “/” & (if (length of it =1) then (“0”&it) else it) of (day_of_month of it as string)) of source release dates of fixlets of bes site whose (name of it =“Enterprise Security”)”

does work.

If you could point me in the right direction or another post (I already tried searching) in regards to my question above I would be grateful as well. Thank you.

I think I found a workaround for my first question of filtering results by a retrieved property: create a Fixlet using the retrieved property then use unions and intersections (http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=1217).

(imported comment written by taylordm10191)

Any way to get this report to work on a custom site? We don’t use Enterprise Security in our production environment and I can’t seem to get it to run when I change the site name to one of our custom sites.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Try changing the “<?Relevance ... ?>” line to:

<?Relevance javascript array "patches" of ((first 9 of name of it & "-!-" & applicable computer count of it as string & "-!-" & number of results whose (exists last became relevant of it AND exists last became nonrelevant of it and last became relevant of it < last became nonrelevant of it) of it as string & "-!-" & category of it & "-!-" & (if (exists results whose (exists last became nonrelevant of it) of it) then (((date (local time zone) of it) as string & "-!-" & ((now - it)/day) as string) of (minimum of last became nonrelevants of results of it) ) else "n/a-!-n/a" )) of fixlets whose (name of it starts with "MS" AND name of it does not contain "CORRUPT" AND exists last became nonrelevants of results of it) of bes sites) ?>

Ben

(imported comment written by taylordm10191)

Ben–thanks. I knew I was missing a subtle change in the relevance, just couldn’t get it going quite right.

(imported comment written by jcsUTSW)

How do I run this on a single machine?

I need to be able to send clients what patches are installed as well as which patches are outstanding.

Thanks

(imported comment written by jessewk)

You can use the built-in web reports filters to only show data from the set of machines you care about.

As I would only be interested in reporting on servers that require patches, is there a way to prevent the systems that are 100% patched from being displayed?

(imported comment written by TommyG91)

Zak,

This is a very nice report. Instead of seeing how many computers need the patch, I want to see how many patches are needed per computer. So, instead of a list of patches and a count of how many servers need that patch, I need to see a list of computers and how many patches each computer needs. Is it possible to modify this report, or should I just start over?

I tried filtering on a baseline (patch policy) but the repot goes into “loading” indefinitely.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tom