Rename iPhone way to rename a registered iPhone

(imported topic written by Michael.Roesch)

Hi all,

is there a way to rename a registered iPhone? Alternatively, is there a way to completely remove an iPhone from the database, so that all data from it is also removed, so that I can register it again as “new”?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Michael

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi Michael,

The device’s name will be:

• The first part of the email address and the device type (i.e., “benkus’s iPad”)
  • If there is no email set, it will default to the name of the device set on the device when you created it (this is specific to iOS… like: “Ben’s Awesome iPad”)
  • If there is no email and no device name (like on Android), then we use the serial number of the device.

In any case, the device name, serial number, and other info is available in the “Device Details” list or you can make whatever custom property you want to see the devices according to a naming scheme you like better.

I don’t think there is an easy way to rename the device (other than changing the email).

To remove a device, you can right-click delete in the console after deprovisioning the device. If you want to go under-the-covers and remove the data from the management extender, there is a “DeviceReports” folder that has a file with the device serial number in the filename. You can delete that file and the management extender will forget about that device.

Ben

(imported comment written by Michael.Roesch)

Hi Ben,

thank you for your reply.

Could it be, that it’s also important, how you enroll, i.e. via Web form or via the Mobile Client?

Regards,

Michael

Hi,

to clarify, I’m currently doing the following:

1. Prepare the device for the user, i.e.

2. Install the IBM Mobile Client

3. Enroll the device with my user ID, as we’re using the trusted provider method to authenticate an enrollment

The problem here is, that TEM displays the device with my lastname (which we’re using instead of email address), i.e. roesch’s iPhone.

So I have to be able to differentiate, which user is actually using the device and so I wanted to rename that device.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Ben,

in the meantime I had to learn, that it’s obviously not intended for the administrator to setup the device for the users and give it to them.

So in the end, I had to create a manual for the users about how they should enroll their device on their own.

Thanks anyway

Regards,

Michael