Remote Control Server Recording Feature

Greetings,

We recently installed the RC Server and migrated the remote control sessions from P2P mode to managed mode. One of its most helpful features is the possibility to record every session whether for audit or training purposes.

The problem that I’ve found in this feature is that if you are in an active session mode and select the reboot mode, the controller keeps conected and you don’t need to start a new session with the target. However, the target creates a new recording file with the second part of the session but this is not sent to the server.

Considering a session where the target was rebooted once, if the Record the session in the target system policy is enabled only the first part of the session is sent to the server. If the same policy is disabled the recording of the session is done on the controller system and, in this case, only the second part is sent to the server.

A third option is to reboot normally, such as using the Windows restart option. In this case the session is closed and the record is sent normally, but you have to start a new one and wait for user acceptance (according to our policies).

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the hole session being recorded and sent to the server in cases that the target is rebooted or would it be a valid case of filling a RFE or PMR?

Hello, I reproduced your issue as you described:

1. First Attempt:
    “Record the session in the target system” enabled
    Start an active session
    Start the recording
    Switch the session in Reboot mode
    Wait the target restarting, the session is re-established and the recording continues
    Stop the session
    —> two different sessions are audited but only the first part of recording is uploaded on the server

2. SecondoAttempt:
    “Record the session in the target system” disabled
    Start an active session
    Start the recording
    Switch the session in Reboot mode
    Wait the target restarting, the session is re-established and the recording continues
    Stop the session
    —> one only session is audited and no recording is uploaded on the server
    Further an error "Error uploading the recording on the server " is shown on controller side after the connection is closed

The expectation to get the full recording uploaded on the server is a correct expectation, so please raise an Apar, ( a DA) and provide me with the related DA number (send to maria.corbacio@hcl.com or via teams ).
Kind regards
Mariella Corbacio

Hello Mariella.

Actually I’m getting a different result in the second scenario.

When “Record the session in the target system” is disabled, both sessions are correctly audited but only the second recording is uploaded to the server.

I’ve created a product case to request the APAR. I’ll send you the related DA number as soon as I get it from the support team.

Thank you.

Hi.

The DA about this case was just been published.
https://support.hcltechsw.com/csm?id=kb_article&sysparm_article=KB0098754

@mcorbacio, I’ve just sent tou you an e-mail regarding this information. Thank you for the help.

Regards.