Remote control for Mac OS X

Dear Team,

I have an idea to take a remote control of Mac OS X from Windows PC’s with help of using bigfix, Kindly share your views and if i am on correct way please assist me to done this. I hope it will be interesting for us.@jgstew @leewei @TimRice @rustymyers @gearoid @Aram

1. Mac OS have default screen sharing option with support of VNC client, for your reference below i mentioned the link too
  1. Chrome remote desktop feature ( Through Extension plugin )

The task is how we can enable these two features through bigfix fixlet. I hope we can achieve this through these options, if we done this it will help for most of the companies

Thanks & Regards
Vicky

Hi vikki,

@hansen_m has an example of how to enable the Apple Remote Desktop service using the tool kickstart here: https://bigfix.me/fixlet/details/3923

For VNC, you’d want to use the other options in kickstart to enable it and set a password: https://gist.github.com/nateware/3915757

Combining those two will get your VNC started, except for the proper relevance. For that, I’d suggest running the kickstart commands on a system while watching fs_usage. This should indicate where the preferences for VNC are written, and thus what file you’d need to use for relevance.

Rusty

1 Like

Thanks @rustymyers, The below sudo command will enable screen sharing option on Mac OS X and parlelly set password for VNC too, I tested this manually but I don’t know how to make this as a fixlet format for Mac OS X, So kindly You & Mr. @jgstew help me too develop this command on fixlet format.

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart -activate -configure -access -on -clientopts -setvnclegacy -vnclegacy yes -clientopts -setvncpw -vncpw mypasswd -restart -agent -privs -all

Eg:

Relevance 1:
name of operating system = "Mac OS X"
Relevance 2:
system version >= “10.5”

Action Script:

wait sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart -activate -configure -access -on -clientopts -setvnclegacy -vnclegacy yes -clientopts -setvncpw -vncpw mypasswd -restart -agent -privs -all

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks & Regards
Vicky

Hi Vicky,
Looks like a fine start. I’d suggest removing the ‘sudo’ command from the action script.

Would just need the relevance for the VNC settings, then.

Rusty

2 Likes

Hi Vicky,

Looking at the system changes, it appears the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.RemoteManagement.plist contains a boolean VNCLegacyConnectionsEnabled that is true when it’s started. I’d suggest using that as part of the relevance, possibly other keys too.

This may work:

(not exists file "/Library/Preferences/com.apple.RemoteManagement.plist" whose (exists boolean "VNCLegacyConnectionsEnabled" whose (it = False) of dictionary of it)
1 Like