Relevance to get MS Office architecture (32 or 64 bit)

Hello All, in my environment, there are different versions of ms office installed and i need to make an analysis which will show whether the office is 32 bit or 64 bit. Please help me to achieve this.

One option would be to look for a Microsoft Office product name in the Add Remove registry hives; x32 registry and x64 registry inspectors will allow you to look in the respective 32- and 64-bit hives to give a simple True/False for 32-bit versions, or, if you want to make it more complex, return the version installed. That way, you would have two properties, one for each architecture, returning either True/False or the version installed.

The analysis Application Information for Office 365 - Office 2016 works well for us.

Is that from BigFix inventory, by any chance?

Also, am I right in presuming that that analysis only inspects the Office15 hives?

Those might be constraints to be aware of if, like in our case, you don’t have BFI and/or want to inspect the architecture of all Office versions.

Part of the Patches for Windows site.

1 Like

Hello mwolff, it is not related to BFI( my environment does not have BFI installed)

The property “Office 365 - Office 2016 Client Architecture” depends on a ClickToRun install of Office; while this would definitely be useful for an all-Office 365 shop, it wouldn’t work in my environment as we still have older products.

That being said, I am seeing good results for that relevance based on a quick check through BigFix Query in my environment with O365, similar to AlexaVonTess’ comment.

You’ll need to verify what your requirements are in terms of scope of Office versions, it seems.

I’ve done this in a really lazy and simple way, but it’s really all of the information I needed for my use case. I just targeted one of the apps in the suite by the location it’ll be in.

x86:
exists file “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\Outlook.exe”

x64:
exists file “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\Outlook.exe”