Relay Server configuration

I am deploying the Bigfix client using Ansible.
When trying to configure the relay server this is populated.
Wen I change this and restart the service, this reverts back.
Is this dictated by the actionsite.afxm?

Thanks,
Jim

How do you have RelaySelection configured on the clients? Manual or Automatic?

You don’t mention the OS in question, but given the use of Ansible can I assume Linux? If this is the case, you need to stop the client BEFORE you modify the settings manually or the client will rewrite the settings when it shuts down as part of the restart process. Windows doesn’t behave that way.

There are several Settings that deal with the Relays

• __Relay_Control_RootServer
  • __Relay_Control_Server1
  • __Relay_Control_Server2
  • __RelaySelect_Automatic
  • __RelayServer1
  • __RelayServer2
  • _BESClient_RelaySelect_FailoverRelay

Hi Tim,
Yes the clients are Linux. Even when the client is stopped, I make changes then restart the service it overwrites and reverts back to the original.
I am not sure why it is doing this.

What is the difference between the relay control server and the relay server?

Thanks
James

It shouldn’t be doing that.

The process we use is

• Stop the BESClient service
  • Once the client is actually stopped, edit the file
  • Start the BESClient service again

EDIT: I believe the Relay Control Server is the server that the client contacts to get a list of available Relays. You actually want to modify the RelayServer1 and/or RelayServer2 settings if you want to point the client to a different Relay.

Hi Tim,
Does the actionsite.afxm file also dictate settings?

Some settings, yes, but not relay selection.

I have set the relay server as correct and restarted the service.
Then checking BESRelay.log on the relay server and not seeing anything as yet.
Should there be entries in this log?
Is there any way to validate the connection between client and relay?

You’d check the log on the client, not the relay.
What settings are you actually changing and what are you putting in them?

I am just trying to validate that the client is talking to the relay server itself.

Look in the console to see what relay server(s) are assigned to the client OR if it’s set to automatic, of course it will figure out which relay is closest/best.

Hi,

If it is Linux OS before changing relay settings manually you should stop besclient service.then you can change settings and start service otherwise settings will not be updated.

if it is windows you no need to stop the service when changing relay settings . after changing relay settings you need to restart the service.

if you are doing relay settings via ansible after new deployment completed you can create one more playbook for relay changes use service module to stop and replace the relaserver settings then use handlers for starting service. if it is useful you can try this method