Regset question

Hi,

I have a registry key that I want to change through BigFix but having a few issues. If anyone could look and possibly see what I’m doing wrong that would be helpful. I attempted in QnA but just got a “cant create” error?

regset “HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID{{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32” “stringvalue”="%windir%\System32\vbscript.dll"

Thanks!

Not sure if it’s a copy/paste error, but in that line I think there is a missing }, which may be the problem, if it’s like that in your action script.

The braces I think are right, using 2 curly braces to escape the first one as not starting relevance substitution, but not sure why its failing.

Is there a missing “” between “CLSID” and “{{” ?

> regset "HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32" "stringvalue"="%windir%\System32\vbscript.dll"

1 Like

Actually, might be the permission of the registry key and only TrustedInstaller has access to modify that key/value

1 Like

Thanks for the replies!

@joseg I think it was just a copy/paste error, I was trying with and without the { }

@SLB I think it was just a copy/paste error for the missing " \ " between, also I changed the ownership from TrustedInstaller before trying this. I also verified I’m able to manually change the registry key, but not through regset for some reason?

Update : I just re-ran the command again, after verifying the permissions and the brackets. The fixlet states that the command was successful, but overall the job failed, and the machine’s registry didn’t update. I’m newer to Bigfix, but is there anyway I can monitor this to see why its failing, even though it states through the action that the regset command was completed?

Try

regset64 "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32]" "stringvalue"="%windir%\\System32\\vbscript.dll"

1 Like

Hey SLB,

I added the double \ to the string value and it seems like it resolved it without using the regset64, just regset,

Thanks for the help!