Red Hat custom fixlet for deployment

Hello,
i’m writing a basic fixlet for a software deployment for redhat, but I get an exit code of 1, does anything look odd???

prefetch hpsmh-7.5.0-4.x86_64.rpm sha1:ba3bbf306819704c768c6d2e009568829c0f511b size:12684543 http://SERVERNAME:52311/LINUX/HPSMH/hpsmh-7.5.0-4.x86_64.rpm

delete /tmp/hpsmh-7.5.0-4.x86_64.rpm
copy __Download/hpsmh-7.5.0-4.x86_64.rpm /tmp/hpsmh-7.5.0-4.x86_64.rpm
wait /usr/bin/yum update /tmp/hpsmh-7.5.0-4.x86_64.rpm

any help would be appreciated.

thank you
Raul

So my first question would be if you are using yum, why would you be downloading an RPM?

If you are doing it that way I think you are supposed to be using installed package names not an RPM file. If you have a local package isnt it yum localinstall ?

1 Like

Hey @AlanM, thanks for your input. yum doesn’t always download an rpm. if you specify the rpm it should install it, you can also use the rpm utility instead of yum but according to red hat yum is the preferred installer for packages. the rpm is the package that came from the vendor (HP). So in theory everything should be fine. I can’t really find any examples of just a basic rpm package install when using bigfix so if you or anyone has some example code that would be great.

thanks!

Does yum require a -y so that is will not prompt for confirmation ?

1 Like

Thanks for the input guys, I went with ‘rpm’ instead of ‘yum’ and the package installed without any issues.

2 Likes

You should get it to work in the command line non-interactively first. Only if it works like that should you try to put it into actionscript. Did the yum command work directly in the first place?

I think @gearoid is right that yum would ask for confirmation, so that should be part of the issue.

Glad it worked using rpm instead of yum

hi @jgstew,

ya you are correct, typically I try code on an endpoint before I create a fixlet, but in this case I have no access to red hat systems (ya weird I know). thanks for the input and one of these days i’ll probably go back and test with YUM.

In this case, I would recommend spinning up a Red Hat VM to test. You don’t need access to a production system to test in most cases.

1 Like