Reboot Fixlet Returning 'Pending Restart'

Greetings All,

I’m working on a fixlet that reboots my servers. The action of the fixlet doesn’t do anything, so there is no “action requires restart” in the action script. It is configured to run between 6:00:00 AM and 7:00:00 AM UTC, only on Sunday. If the action becomes relevant after it has successfully executed, the action will be periodically reapplied an unlimited number of times, waiting 5 days between reapplications.

The fixlet is considered successful when the applicability relevance evaluates to false. The relevance says:

uptime of operating system > 2 * day

I have a small percentage of devices that are reporting “Pending Restart”. I ran the relevance in the fixlet debugger on one of these servers and it came back ‘False’. It is reporting ‘True’ for ‘pending restart’, but I don’t really care. I would want the action to go completed and then after 2 days go into waiting so that the next Sunday at 06:00 GMT it reboots again. My only option is to cancel this action and take the action again. This results in nearly 80 reboot actions that need to be canceled and recreated every week.

What can I do so that this action goes to Completed.

thanks

Have you read …

I read those threads, similar problem, different expected results. I don’t care that it is still ‘pending restart’. If the device still needs a restart after having reboot in its reboot window, I’m okay with that. I would simply reboot it on the next available reboot window.

My problem is that the action result returns ‘Pending Restart’ even though the fixlet is considered successful when the applicability relevance evaluates to false. And the relevance “uptime of operating system > 2 * day” evaluates to False.

Is there no way around this?

I presume the action has a reboot command in it? This triggers the response of pending restart and that overrides the other responses as the action is now constrained by the restart request.

Is that the situation you’re in?

That sounds about right. I have the reboot configured from the ‘Post Action’ tab , ‘Restart computer after action completes’. I do not have a ‘pending restart’ in the action script. My relevance is evaluating to false, so I’m expecting the action to go to completed. However, if the response of pending restart overrides the relevance , is there anything I can do to suppress that override?

No. By requesting the restart of the endpoint the action isn’t “completed” until that is done.

And is is not considered done until the pending restart is cleared?

That is correct, and a pending restart state won’t be always cleared by a single reboot especially on Windows