Question on Resolving "MaxArchiveSize Exceeded" Message Trying to Upload ILMT/BFI VM Manager Data

Hi all …

This technote (https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/vm-managers-cannot-be-uploaded-bigfix-server-maxarchivesize-exceeded) lists corrective action when the message “MaxArchiveSize Exceeded” is seen when uploading VM Manager Data to ILMT or BFI.

The technote lists two possible ways to fix the problem:

• directly delete the problematic files from their location
  • delete the related “_BESClient_ArchiveManager_FileSet-” setting for the file

The technote mentions comparing the index.txt file from BESClient/__BESData/__Global/Archive/Last/Index.txt
with
BESServer/UploadManagerData/BufferDir/sha1/<last 2 digits of ID of BES Client >/< ID of BES Client>/Index.txt.

From where do I perform these deletions - is it from BESClient/__BESData/__Global/Archive/Last or BESServer/UploadManagerData/BufferDir/sha1/<last 2 digits of ID of BES Client >/< ID of BES Client>?

Second, suppose I don’t want to delete any of the files that are waiting for upload - I configured additional VM Manager connections and together they exceeded the MaxArchiveSize. I figured I can just increase the _BESClient_ArchiveManager_MaxArchiveSize setting and then run the “Force VM Manager Results Upload” task again, right? However, when I did that, this task returned a code of 12 (meaning “there is no change to VM Manager data”) so I presume no upload took place? It seemed just increasing the maxArchiveSize and rerunning the “force upload” task didn’t correct the “No VM Manager Data” issue. I was hoping that even if the “force upload” task detected no changes that whatever was already waiting for upload would be reattempted. Am I misunderstanding how this works or did I miss something?

–Mark

You may want to look at the instructions here: https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/9.5/inventory/Inventory/admin/t_vm_manager_config_for_subcap.html
to verify that your configuration is correct.

For instance, it may be helpful to stop and start the VMManager service.

1 Like

I checked the index.txt file. The culprit is the results of a VM Manager data scan after we added several VMware connections (which were successfully tested, so I know the VM Manager Tool is good).

I did not think of stopping and restarting the VM Manager Tool. That was a good idea. That might have caused a new scan to occur right away and send me “different” results, which could have triggered another upload.

What we are doing is increasing the _BESClient_ArchiveManager_MaxArchiveSize setting from the original 52428800 to 209715200 and waiting for the next “natural” VM Manager scan & upload to occur. We’ll re-examine the results after the weekend.

–Mark

Hi all …

Increasing the _BESClient_ArchiveManager_MaxArchiveSize setting from the original 52428800 to 209715200 and waiting for the next “natural” VM Manager scan resolved the issue for me.

–Mark