Question about Relay Diagnostic Download information

To keep the details brief – I was working on content that would inspect files that exist in a destination directory, based on a manifest file provided, create a delta of necessary files to retrieve from a repo and then proceed to download the files.

Ultimately resulting in the delta manifest file being consumed like in this example:

https://developer.bigfix.com/action-script/guide/dynamic_download.html

begin prefetch block
parameter “manifest”=“{pathname of file “manifest.spec” of client folder of site “AV”}”
add prefetch item {concatenation " ; " of lines of file (parameter “manifest”)}
end prefetch block

I had proven out the process with smaller files, and it worked great. However, for one of our larger customers, I was in the testing phase, using a shotgun approach proving out a use case of ‘we need all the things’. The delta of files was over 400, but the relay diagnostic page only displayed 20 files for the action.

My question is: For an action that has a large number of files to pull, will the relay(s) display only what is currently being downloaded? All downloads? Max 20 ?

Additionally, if the relay diagnostic only displays 20 max, are all downloads in flight despite the RD page display?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

This is a really good question. Would love to see if anyone had some ideas :smiley:

…bump

1 Like

I agree, and one I don’t know the answer to.

Should have asked that one at the “Stump the experts” :wink:

@AlanM, do you have any ideas on if the RD page only shows 20 of the active downloads of an action?

What do you see in the ActiveDownloads folder on the relay during the test? Are all the files present in the sha1 folder afterwards?

C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Relay\wwwrootbes\bfmirror\downloads\ActiveDownloads
1 Like

So this gets complicated for dynamic downloads. The client actually only has 2 download channel and the download requests are a bit more complicated for these type of downloads. Let me look as to why there are 20 only shown of the 400.

1 Like

That’s a good question. @zachw, we should check that out next time.