Q: How to install bigfix client on remote machine?

is there any way to install and control/ manage servers in a different location ?
I have multi clients and I need to manage patching for them is there any way to install bigfix client on thier servers and manage them from my bigfix server ?

Thanks,

“C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Console\BESClientDeploy\BESClientDeploy.exe”

To allow the Remote clients to be manageable, they will need to be “reachable”. Either directly by the BigFix Server or from a BigFix Relay that can be reached by the BigFix server. The usual protocols (TCP/52311 from the client to the Relay/Server, and UDP/52311 from the Relay/Server to the Client) still apply. If you are crossing the Internet, I recommend encrypted communications between Relay and Clients.

With the newest BigFix version, I believe there is a new way to do this without the Relays by having a client perform some of the work.

I was using a backup solution that you can install the client app on the remote server then configure it to communicate with the app server, so that is not possible in here right ?
Do you have any documentation of how to setup the Relay ?

Thank you,

The best way to deploy a relay is via the fixlet in BES Support. As a relay requires a client present as well it does the work for you.

The relay is has to be reachable from bigfix server and from the servers at the client side is that correct ?
in that case I am still having the same issue !

To install clients on the “unreachable network”, you can

1. Install the client on machine reachable from Bigfix server that will become your relay ( let’s call it Host1)
  2. When you see Host1 in the computers on the console, using the cdt wizard in the first page enter the targets in the unreachable network and their credentials , in the second wizard page ( removing “Yes” from the filters fields you should see it in the list ) select Host1 as deployment point
    The wizard will create and submit the actions to install Cleint deploy tool on the Host1 and to use it to install the clients on the specified targets.
    Consider that:
    Windows deployment point can deploy bigfix clients on windows targets/unix targets/mac targets
    Linux deployment point can deploy bigfix clients on unix targets/mac targets

For details on how to use the Client Deployment Wizard see:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSQL82_9.5.0/com.ibm.bigfix.doc/Platform/Installation/c_using_the_client_deploy_tool_new.html