Push O365 Click to Run

Hello,

Has anyone had success pushing out O365 (not through network share) O365 Click to Run packages. Please see my code below. When I push the action, everything downloads properly and then gets stuck in a loop with running the waithidden command.

// All SWD files will go into a folder in the clients __BESData folder. This folder gets cleared on every restart. parameter “baseFolder” = “__Download/”
// Move files into subfolders and unescape file names
move “__Download/e6d66b333c2450eec57b9c747e10d231a714ab34” “{parameter “baseFolder”}setup.exe”
move “__Download/bacb72057912fd534e1c7c34cd64a08e0fd46ccb” "{parameter “baseFolder”}FSM-config-0365-031821.xml"
move “__Download/10ae1c98f4259384b96511c54526cd73040c7540” “{parameter “baseFolder”}compressedPackageData-202102051219.bftemp”
// extract any compressed files
extract “compressedPackageData-202102051219.bftemp” "{parameter “baseFolder”}Office"
waithidden “__Download\setup.exe” /configure FSM-config-0365-031821.xml

Thanks,
paulFSM

I have never had the need to try this, and I don’t know if it is directly relevant, but I would never create subfolders under __Download - it carries risk that the housekeeping of that folder will fail.

You probably need to run one manually, keeping an eye on it using procmon (or similar) to see what other processes it creates and how (and when) it terminates.

@trn I have also tried the cdn version. The problem is definitely not the copy of the folder. Do you push o365 to endpoints? If you do, how do you go about it? I use mdt for imaging separate of bigfix but looking for a way to upgrade endpoints with older versions of office to o365. If you have any suggestions for this, let me know.

Thanks,
paulFSM

I wasn’t saying that the folder wouldn’t create or that you wouldn’t be able to copy to it - just that I would be wary of Bigfix’s own housekeeping tasks failing with other files in there, especially for a task that never seems t finish.

I don’t have a need to push O365 to endpoints, but I do know that using the click to run client for patching spawns a number of additional processes.

If I’m not mistaken you’ll need to remove any existing version of office from the PC first. I send o365 via bigfix, but I also keep the bulk of the install files on a separate server. The only thing I send to the endpoints are the setup.exe and xml file, while the xml file has a source configuration pointing to the server share. This sounds like it could be an issue with setup.exe communicating with the rest of your install files rather than a bigfix issue. What does your xml file look like?

Here’s an example of one of my 365 xml files

<Configuration>
  <Add SourcePath="\\server\folder\office" OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="Monthly">
      <Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail" >
         <Language ID="en-us" />
      </Product>  </Add>
  <RemoveMSI All="True" />
  <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />  
</Configuration>

@MMosley, I have recently tried CDN version that has no folder needs. Can you share me the script that works for you. Please see below for the xml file that I created Yesterday.

I used the Office configuration tool to create the xml file. I have heard that you shouldn’t be manually creating it on your own.

Thanks,
Paul

. Here is the attached image of the xml.

You definitely want to create your own xml files, so that you can configure them to your environments needs. I advise looking over the ODT documents and becoming more familiar with how it works before sending to any device.

@MMosley Thanks, I have gone through the ODT because I have used it to create the xml documents. Sorry for any confusion. I am using the tool to create the xml file instead of creating the xml from scratch. It is a great tool.

Back to my actual problem. Can you share with me the script that works for you in bigfix.

I’m not sure this is going to help with your situation, but this is basically how I run it through bigfix, swd builds it out for you.

delete __createfile
delete run.bat
createfile until _end_
@ECHO OFF
echo Command: "setup.exe" /configure config365pro.xml 
set errorlevel=
"setup.exe" /configure config365pro.xml 
_end_
move __createfile run.bat
override wait
hidden=true
completion=job
wait run.bat
1 Like

That looks correct to me. This is what I write:
waithidden “__Download\setup.exe” /configure FSM-config-0365-031821.xml.

I am not sure what I am missing.

Where are your actual install files located? Not the setup.exe or the xml file.

I am using the CDN installation method. No install files needed. I have also used the local method and copied down the files to the same location as the setup.exe and xml file when testing that way.

I think I got it to work. I added something you had in your xml file. RemoveMSI All=“True”

. I also didn’t re-write anything and let bigfix use its default calls. Thanks for your assistance.

1 Like