PSA: Skype 8.21.0.10 update broken

Fixlet 5055293 “Skype 8.21.0.10 Available” in “Updates for Windows Applications”.
Doesn’t seem to be silent anymore. When I ran it as part of a baseline, I noticed the baseline was not progressing with this component running for 90 minutes.
I ran SkypeSetupFull.exe with the same command-line parameters interactively, and … it popped up this:

( so much for /VERYSILENT )

2 Likes

perhaps you can use /VERYVERYSILENT or maybe /DOUBLESECRETPROBATION

2 Likes

Ok from the command line, it seems like adding “/SILENT” in addition to the existing “/VERYSILENT” really does make it quiet and suppresses the “Windows Store” message. Final command line is
SkypeSetupFull.exe ALLUSERS=1 FEATURE_IEPLUGIN=0 FEATURE_FFPLUGIN=0 INSTALLLEVEL=1 STARTSKYPE=FALSE TRANSFORMS=:RemoveStartup.mst /VERYSILENT /NOLAUNCH /SILENT

Anyone from BigFix Content Team in here?

2 Likes

I have often used both and I’m not really sure why, but maybe this is part of it.

CC: @bma

Is this on Windows 10? I wonder if Microsoft is trying to push the Windows Store on all of its users.

1 Like

I would bet this error only appears on Win8+

^^^ I believe that’s what MS is doing - trying to push people to the Store App. The errors definitely appears on Windows 10.

The relevance for the Skype Fixlets moving forward looks like it will need to be tweaked. I did an install on a clean machine with the Skype Installer in the fixlet and the current relevance looks at a registry key that is no longer there:

“HKLM\Software\Skype\Phone” of registry

In the meantime, thanks @JasonWalker for finding that fix.

1 Like

I’m afraid I’m still having a problem with the IBM fixlet for Skype 8.23.0.10, Fixlet 5055297 from “Updates for Windows Applications”.

I think I am encountering two different issues - one is specific to my environment, the other may be encountered by a lot of folks.

In the Relevance check I encounter
exists keys whose ((it contains "Skype" AND it != "Skype Click to Call" AND it does not contain "Toolbars" and it does not contain "Update for Skype for Business" ) of (value "DisplayName" of it as string)) of key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" of registry

I think maybe the “Update for Skype for Business” does not exclude all of the “Skype for Business” installations; they don’t all start with “Update for” in the DisplayName.

In the registry key itself, I can find
DisplayName REG_SZ Microsoft Skype for Business MUI (English) 2016

I also have an issue that another registry key matches - a HoloLens add-on for Skype:
DisplayName REG_SZ Skype HoloLens Add-In

The presence of one or both of these keys is causing the Action to fail with a relevance substitution error where it is trying to remove old versions of Skype
wait msiexec /x {name of key whose (name of it starts with "{" and (it contains "Skype" AND it != "Skype Click to Call" AND it does not contain "Toolbars" AND it does not contain "Skype for Business") of (value "DisplayName" of it as string)) of key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" of registry} /qn /norestart