Process for Upgrading Windows 1709 to 1909

Hi all!

With the deadline looming up for 1709’s end of support, we’re looking to BigFix to help automate the in-place upgrade process. Looking at the fixlets inside BigFix, I see two options:

OR

Out of those two options which would work better in this situation? I’m leaning towards the first option myself. Also are there any documents from BigFix themselves on how to use either method for the upgrades?

Appreciate any help/guidance in this matter!

The first option is an in-place upgrade using default Windows installation media. Follow the description instructions, you’ll need to download and stage the original ISO image from the Windows Volume License Service Center site.

The second option, if you are using BigFix OS Deployment, allows you to use a custom Windows image you’ve previously created.

If you aren’t already using OSD, the first option is probably easier

3 Likes

Thanks Jason! Went ahead with the first option and the upgrade process seem’s smooth for the laptops we’ve tested on. Super appreciated.

1 Like

Look at this article that i published. I like to break up the upgrade into check only mode first that downloads the media and checks for any driver or app conflicts. If that is successful you will run a second action that you can either schedule with the user or run at a later date called run upgrade only. This will use the same files already downloaded on the client.

1 Like

@JasonWalker first option is for patch only customers that offers less functionality and requires you to manually cache the files

second option is for lifecycle customers that helps you upload the iso files using the image dashboards and manage which version you want to upgrade to. This is not a custom image option it is intended for the media you download direct from Microsoft.

2 Likes