Process Creation Failed

(imported topic written by Mervin91)

I have completed approximately 600 Office 2003 installation using the following:

action parameter query “PackageLocation” with description “Please enter the WINS machine name of the client’s relay:”

run “{ parameter “PackageLocation” of action}\Managed Software\MSOffice\Mso2003.std\setup.exe” TRANSFORMS="{parameter “PackageLocation” of action}\Managed Software\MSOffice\Mso2003.std\STD11_R13.MST" /l c:\mso2003std.txt /qn

Now when I run the task the clients logs say “process creation failed”. I’m stumped. Any ideas?

Merv

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey Mervin,

I think your issue is probably that the BES Client doesn’t have access to run the file from the share location. The BES Client runs as the SYSTEM account and it doesn’t have access to network resources unless you use a null session share (http://support.bigfix.com/bes/misc/null_session_share.html).

Here is a way to test this:

1. In the BES Console, go to Tools > Take custom action.

2. for your actionscript, type:

run cmd.exe

1. Target your test computer.

2. This will launch a cmd.exe window on the test computer with the credentials of SYSTEM. This is an easy way to test command actions with the same privileges as the BES Client.

Ben

(imported comment written by Mervin91)

Hey Ben,

Any clue as to why to I’ve had so much success without the Null Session Shares?

Merv

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey Mervin,

Nope. As far as I can tell, if “package location” is a separate computer, then this definitely will not work.

The only thing I can think was that the null-session-shares were turned on for the package locations by someone else because they were using them for another system or to deploy Office patches with remote shares and then someone turned it off recently.

Ben