Problems with SOAP from PHP

(imported topic written by SMcQueen)

I’m trying to publish a page where we can pull group memberships onto a web page using PHP and SOAP to pull from the reporting system. Thanks to Lee and
this post
I have the following php code set-up with a simple query just to get some response.

ini_set("display_errors", 1);

$Relevance="names of bes sites";

echo "<br>";
echo "Username  = $Username <br> ";
echo "Password  = $Password <br> ";
echo "Relevance = \"$Relevance\"<br>";
echo "Location  = $Location <br>";
echo "URI       = $URI <br>";

echo "<br>create client handle <br>";

$client = new SoapClient($WSDL,
    "location" => $Location,
    "uri"      => $URI,
    "style"    => SOAP_RPC,
    "use"      => SOAP_ENCODED,
    "trace"    => 1));

echo "send request <br>";
echo "<br>";
$results = ($client->__soapcall("GetRelevanceResult",
    new SoapParam($Relevance, "relevanceExpr"),
    new SoapParam($Username, "username"),
    new SoapParam($Password, "password")),

    "uri"        => $URI,
    "soapaction" => $URI."/GetRelevanceResult")). "\n");

echo "Parse Response";
$str = ($client->__getLastResponse()); $str = str_replace("<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv=\"\">", " ", $str);
$str = str_replace("<soapenv:Body>", " ", $str);
$str = str_replace("<GetRelevanceResultResponse xmlns=\"".$URI."\">", "<GetRelevanceResultResponse>", $str);
$str = str_replace("</soapenv:Body>", " ", $str);
$str = str_replace("</soapenv:Envelope>", " ", $str);

$xml = simplexml_load_string($str);

echo 'Results from BigFix SOAP API<br /><br />';

foreach($xml as $soapresponse)
    echo $soapresponse.'<br />';

The output looks like…

Username = SOAPUser
Password = SOAPPass
Relevance = "names of bes sites"
Location = https://myserver/webreports

create client handle
send request

Fatal error: Uncaught SoapFault exception: [env:Client] XML parsing error: 
Element '{}GetRelevanceResult' cannot 
be empty according to the DTD/Schema. Line 2, Character 166 in 
/var/www/html/index.php:44 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/html/index.php(44): 
SoapClient->__soapCall('GetRelevanceRes...', Array, Array) #1 {main} 
thrown in /var/www/html/index.php on line 44

As such, I’m thinking there is a problem with my soapcall (particularly with my second array element. I have tried running the query in SoapUI and get a good list of the sites back so I know the service is working on the BES side of things even with the https URL, so I don’t think it is an SSL problem.

Help. thanks!

(imported comment written by SMcQueen)

ok, so I figured it out. I shall try to explain how (someone please correct if I mis-state something)

I think my problem was that the original code from Mr Wei does not leverage the WSDL since my code does I was passing extra data that was not expected. I was able to trim up some of the call syntax from lines 31-39 above.


results = ($client->__soapcall("GetRelevanceResult",
    new SoapParam($Relevance, "relevanceExpr"),
    new SoapParam($Username, "username"),
    new SoapParam($Password, "password")),

    "uri"        => $URI,
    "soapaction" => $URI."/GetRelevanceResult")). "\n");


$results = ($client->GetRelevanceResult(
    "relevanceExpr" => $Relevance,
    "username"      => $Username,
    "password"      => $Password)));

I think this ends up being a little cleaner since we have the WSDL to frame up how the message is being formatted.

Huge props to Mr. Wei as his original code gave me a huge head start!!!

Regardless it is working YEA!