Problems with Remote Control Server installation. RedHat - DB2

Hello guys

I have problems with installgin BigFix Remote Control server in RedHat / DB2 setup. Nor the BigFix Console Wizard or the manual installation is working. I have a support case with HCL but it’s been 2 months since opened, going through much testing and requirements from support team but no solution. Have someone installed with this setup combination successfully? Did you also got issues? Can help me?

Thanks in advance

Hi mikke,

I believe that you are not alone.
Anyway the easiest and fastest way to install the RC Server on RHEL is to use the graphical installer on the same machine where DB2 is installed. The graphical installer is required when you need to upgrade (upgrade from command line or BESConsole is not supported) so sooner or later you will have to cope with it:

1. Use the task 90 (Download IBM BigFix Remote Control Server for Linux) to download the trc_server_setup.bin

2. If you are not subscribed to RedHat mount the iso as reported here.

3. Install the 32-bit libraries required for the installer with the command:
    yum install libXft.i686 libXext.i686 libXrender.i686 libXtst.i686 libXinerama.i686 libXmu.i686 libXScrnSaver.i686 libXt.i686 libXss.i686 libblkid.i686 libgcc.i686

4. Run the installer: chmod u+x ./trc_server_setup.bin && ./trc_server_setup.bin

5. Follow the instruction on the screen.

You can choose to let the installer create the database (there is a specific checkbox). Put the default path for the JDBC driver (this is installed by default in the DB2 admin home). In the next screen remember to use the correct DNS name for the Webserver (use the hostname used to reach the machine from the network). Deselect the checkbox related to registration token (you can enable it later if needed), deselect also FIPS and NIST compliance unless required.

That’s all.
I hope this will help.

Hi @f.pezzotti

I will try.
Many thanks!

@f.pezzotti Hi. I have only x64 libraries, is mandatory to have them in i686?

I’ve tried the installer but this ways (as it seems to don’t find java, java is there in the server):

[root@server tmp]# ./trc_server_setup.bin LAX_VM /usr/bin/java
Preparing to install
WARNING: /tmp does not have enough disk space! Attempting to use /root for install base and tmp dir.
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

`Launching installer...`

…reach this point then do nothing.

I believe that the JVM within the package which is used by the installer is a 32 bit JVM. This is why I had to install the 32 bit version of such packages. Anyway if you reach the “Launching installer…” step all should be fine. I forgot to say that if you want to start the graphical installer you can’t start it form SSH. You have to use the Linux UI (for example Terminal/Console application).

Why are you passing those parameters to the installer ? I don’t think that the installer would use an external JRE. It already has it’s own JRE which is embedded in the package.
Note that after many attempts the tmp folder might get saturated by the installer files which are not deleted upon failure. So delete them manually with these commands

rm -fR /tmp/jvm-*
rm -fR /tmp/install.dir.*
rm -fR /tmp/*.tmp

Alternatively if you don’t want to use the graphics you can create a file named trc_server_setup.properties in the same folder there the installer is stored. The content of this file is the same reported in the Task generated by the installation wizard on the console (Search for Remote Control Server Installer Task - Linux).

Copy the text till “__ENDCREATE” (you don’t need to include it). Copy these properties into the file trc_server_setup.properties and then launch the installer with this command:

./trc_server_setup.bin -DDB2_PASSWORD=MyDB2Passoword

You need to replace the password of course with the DBA password (in my case the db2inst1 one).
If you don’t want to use a cleartext password put the password in a file (for example password.txt), don’t add the CR, SPACE or other non-printable characters in the file and delete it after running this command:

./trc_server_setup.bin -DDB2_PASSWORD=$(cat password.txt)

Check the log file /tsetup.ini in case of failure.