Problem with Linux RPM analysis

I’m trying to patch my RHEL 5 server for the samba RHSA-2015:0249 patch. The patch doesn’t have actionscript and it says that I need to run the minimum package list dashboard to build my own custom patch… no problem. I go to the dashboard and it says that I need to activate the anaylses for it. I activate analyses 2 and 4 but analysis 4 never reports back for my RHEL 5.11 server. I dug into the Bootable Kernel Status - Red Hat Enterprise Linux analysis and found the last relevance as my problem.

Loading up the qna on that box reveals the following…

[root@s0u1hat bin]# ./qna
Default masthead location, using /etc/opt/BESClient/actionsite.afxm
Q: exist packages whose ((name of it = “kernel” OR name of it = “kernel-debug” OR name of it = “kernel-hugemem” OR name of it = “kernel-largesmp” OR name of it = “kernel-PAE” OR name of it = “kernel-smp” OR name of it = “kernel-xen” OR name of it = “kernel-xenU”) AND (rpm package version record (parenthesized part 1 of first match (case insensitive regex “([0-9.-]+[0-9]).el[0-9]?”) of (version of it as string))) = (rpm package version record (parenthesized part 1 of first match (case insensitive regex “([0-9.-]+[0-9]).el[0-9]?”) of (release of operating system as string)))) of rpm
E: RPM lib load error (libbfrpm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory libbfrpm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
T: 82665

Help/suggestions?

1 Like

I’m guessing you might have the 32 bit compatibility libraries installed on this machine (and I presume its a 64 bit machine)

Please contact support as they should be able to help you out of this with a small change.

You stated: “The patch doesn’t have actionscript and it says that I need to run the
minimum package list dashboard to build my own custom patch”

What RedHat site are you subscribed to for which you are attempting to deploy this patch Fixlet from?

There have been quite a few changes over the past few years to the way RedHat (and Linux patches in general) solutions have evolved. Currently, the IEM/BigFix solutions involve a method that leverages the native tools built into the RedHat endpoint (namely “YUM”) to calculate dependencies.

Gone are the days when a customer was required to build a minimum package list through the minimum package list dashboard. Dependencies are now all calculated on the fly on the endpoint at runtime of the action.

You will want to subscribe to the “Patches for RHEL5 - Native Tools” site and start taking actions on the patching Fixlets from this site in order to take advantage of the most current method of patching.