Problem with Java JRE 6 Update 11 fixlet

(imported topic written by gtallan91)

Just tried deploying this to our 4 test computers, and all stalled with the java installer popping up a window on the local PC saying “the applications listed are running and must be closed to let the install continue: jqs.exe”. Clicking the checkbox to close jqs.exe does let the installation continue, but obviously this requires local action at each PC.

jqs.exe is Java Quick Starter Service -which I don’t remember seeing before. Perhaps it is something new from JRE 6 Update 10…?

In any case I guess the fixlet should try to shut it down, if running, before starting the install.

Graham

(imported comment written by bc6591)

I had the same problem.

I was going to try a task using: net stop “java quick starter” to stop the service before running the fixlet, but I havent had time to try it yet. It does seem to stop the service including the jqs.exe.

bc

(imported comment written by rwest23)

Thank you both for the report. Java Quick Starter is indeed a new service as of 6u10 that needs to be stopped before the update can run. We have updated our fixlets to stop the service before running the update (the update itself will restart the service automatically) and will be publishing the new versions shortly. Please let us know if you experience any more issues.

Regards,

Randy

(imported comment written by gtallan91)

The updated fixlet seems to have fixed it, thanks!

(imported comment written by ggerling91)

Thanks for updating this fixlet. This one caused lots of phone calls last Friday morning.

(imported comment written by acook91)

I am just trying to find out how to obtain the patch for Java 6 Update 11 as it is not working right. I was able to play my games (on pogo and yahoo) before I updated but since then every time i try java shuts down after a couple minutes and I thought the patch my help.

(imported comment written by rwest23)

Depending on your current configuration, use one of the following in the “Updates for Windows Applications” site to upgrade to JRE 6u11:

7051001 Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 11 Available (JRE 6 Installed)

7051005 Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 11 Available (JRE < 6 Installed)

7051006 Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 11 Available (JRE 5 & 6 Installed)

7056001 Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 11 Available (JRE 6 Installed) (x64)

7056005 Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 11 Available (JRE < 6 Installed) (x64)

7056006 Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 11 Available (JRE 5 & 6 Installed) (x64)

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but the nature of your post makes me think that you may be in the wrong forum. This forum is specifically for questions related to patch management using the BigFix Enterprise Suite. If you are not using BigFix, or even if you are but are having problems specifically with JRE functionality then I recommend you visit the Sun forums.