Problem with Adobe Acrobat 8.1.3 fixlet

(imported topic written by ggerling91)

I am experiencing issues with the Adobe Acrobat 8.1.3 Available - Adobe Acrobat 8.1.2 fixlet in the Updates for Windows Applications site. I have actioned this fixlet a few times now against relevant computers. The computers then report back pending restart. I restart the computers and they report back that they are still relevant to the fixlet. I have gone to a few of the machines and verified that version 8.1.3 was now installed. Has anyone else seen this issue?

(imported comment written by bc6591)

I too encountered this problem. On my machines it seems to be due to the fact that I have a “Adobe Acrobat and Reader 8.1.2 Security Update 1 (KB403742)” installed and showing in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall{6846389C-BAC0-4374-808E-B120F86AF5D7} which causes Relevance 9 to return True.

It seems to be an error perhaps in Relavence 9 not checking for updates. Maybe something like this:

(

exists key

whose

(

value “DisplayName” of it as string contains “Adobe Acrobat”

AND

value “DisplayName” of it as string as lowercase does not contain “update”

AND

value “DisplayVersion” of it as string = “8.1.2”

)

of key “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall” of registry

)

There may be better syntax but that seems to correct the problem so far. Who knows maybe it is a bug in the Acrobat 8.1.3 install that it does not unintall all 8.1.2 updates ?

I guess it would be better if we got Bigfix to fix the fixlet so all the users could benifit: fixlet ref # 9081007

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Hey Guys,

I am trying to replicate this problem, so far with no luck.

The fixlet comes back fixed after restart, even if adobe is running when the action is run, and I have confirmed that the application is updated correctly.

Any other information you can provide will be very valuable in trying to correct this problem, Particularly any information on the number of computers that come back failed, the OSes or service packs that seem to have this problem the most, and anything that is not “standard” or is unusual among the affected computer would be helpful

Many thanks.

-Zak

(imported comment written by ashtons91)

We’re having an issue with the Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.1.3 < 8.1.3 installed fixlet as well.

I just deployed the fixlet to 74 relevant workstations and had a 98% failure rate.

All Windows XP - the majority SP2 with some SP3 running on AMD Athlons.

I must say we saw a poor success rate on Acrobat Reader update/upgrades with our last patch solution.

I’ll be opening a ticket, but any assistance through the forum would be greatly appreciated.

-Scott

We only had 4-5 machines all xp sp3 with that version of acrobat on them. So far the only commonality i could see was the that 8.1.2 security update related to the wording of relavance 9 as mentioned earlier.

(imported comment written by ggerling91)

bc is correct. It turns out in our registry there are 3 keys that have the Display Name values containing “Adobe Acrobat”

The 3 keys are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall{6846389C-BAC0-4374-808E-B120F86AF5D7}

Display Name - Adobe Acrobat and Reader 8.1.2 Security Update 1 (KB403742)

Display Version - 8.1.2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall{AC76BA86-1033-F400-BA7E-000000000003}

Display Name - Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard - English, Français, Deutsch

Display Version - 8.1.3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard - English, Français, Deutsch

Display Name - Adobe Acrobat 8.1.3 Standard

Display Version - 8.1.3

I confirmed that all of our machines that have Adobe Acrobat Pro/Standard were patched to version 8.1.3. The relevance is finding the key that is there from the 8.1.2 security update 1

I hope we can get this fixed because our machines appear to be unpatched on reports.

Zak:

Any word on a Bigfix fix on this fixlet ?!

Thanks,

bc

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help on this. ggerling and bc are correct, the fixlets relevance would look at the wrong key if a machine has been patched with “Adobe Acrobat and Reader 8.1.2 Security Update 1”.

This problem has been corrected and propagated. Your deployments should be automatically updated within the next 24 hours.

-Zak

Thanks Zak !

(imported comment written by ggerling91)

Thanks

(imported comment written by GDAV91)

how can I tell if i have the updated fixlet will the source release date change?