Problem running exe file from BigFix

Hi Team,

I am trying to run exe file from BigFix but it’s not running. I have used below command

waithidden cmd.exe /C “Path of exe file\exe file” /qn. So then i tried to run the exe manually so what i found that when we run exe it calls another file to run the setup like this

Initiated this command manually from command prompt

OneXAgentSetup.exe /qn

Result of the command it calling another file as below to install it
Using install.properties file located at C:\Temp\OneX\etc
Running Command Line=msiexec.exe /qn /lv*x “C:\Users\loggedinuser\AppData\Local\Temp\onexa.log” /i “C:\Temp\OneX\etc\OneXAgentWIXSetup.msdb”

Now the question here is that users path like given here: “C:\Users\loggedinuser\AppData\Local\Temp\onexa.log” is dynamic, in place of logged in user - there coming the user which is logging to the machine, so how we can set this in the BigFix Action script:

Thanks in Advance !

I think you may be down the path of solving the wrong problem. The installer is getting that path by referencing the user’s TEMP environment variable - and by default when running as LocalSystem (as BigFix does), that should evaluate to \Windows\Temp instead, so you don’t need to find the logged-on user s TEMP path.

I’d start by making sure to disable 32-bit redirection, and then change the ‘waithidden’ command line. As it is, the /qn is being sent as a parameter for “CMD.exe”, not a parameter to the setup file, based on how CMD handles command line quoting. Try

Action uses wow64 redirection false
waithidden cmd.exe /C ""Path of exe file\exe file" /qn"

Hi Jason,

First of all thanks. But I have checked running this way as well but the result are the same still not getting installed as the Action Completed with this exit code: -532459699.

@sachin76911 it looks like the OneXAgentSetup.exe application accepts MSIEXEC arguments that get passed along when called. You should be able to add /l*v "C:\path\to\log\logfile.log" on your call.

1 Like

I think you are looking for relevance substitution with {Curly Braces}

“C:\Users\{name of logged on user|"ERROR"}\AppData\Local\Temp\onexa.log” 

More info here: https://developer.bigfix.com/action-script/guide/substitution.html