Problem running BF Console from a Citrix server

We’ve been successfully running the BigFix Console from a Citrix cluster as a Published App for well over a year now.

Recently, one of the users began to experience a problem when they exited the Console and tried to use it again. They receive an error …

Because we run multiple Citrix servers, a the users are connected to a server is a balanced manner, we also redirect their User Profile folder to a shared drive.

When she received this error, My solution has been to delete the BigFix Console Cached files for the users’s account and they can once again load the use the Console.

When deleting the cache files, there is always a file in their profile where the path length is too long, and I have to rename the parent folder in order to be able to delete the file. The file in question is “AppData\Roaming\BigFix\Enterprise Console\Server.fqdn\user@domain\Sites\BES Inventory and License\MicrosoftSQLAllSQLServerAnalysisServicesAndReportingServicesInstancesWindows.beswrpt

In order to successfully delete the .beswrpt file, I must rename the “BES Inventory and License” site.

So far, only one user is reporting this issue. It is consistent and reproducible for the user. It happens every time they exit and restart the Console. I’ve asked them to try running the Console locally on a computer and report the results, but have not heard back from the user yet.

Has anyone else seen this issue before?

I’ve had the user change their Cache settings under Preferences, but it has not made a difference.

I think because you are using a roaming profile that you are encountering the issue which produces the deep path name. I’m not sure its a good idea to use roaming profiles due to the amount of data a console produces in its cache.

Is the following still valid?

Altering TEM Console Cache Location

Yes it is still valid. The directory must exist for it to use it though.

I’ve seen that but only rarely. We’re also using Roaming Profiles (but not Redirected Folders). The Roaming Profile is hosted on a Samba server. I attributed this to a network / Samba hiccup (which, sadly, is not that unusual here) or the user was over their quota, I don’t recall which. In any case clearing their console cache did the trick.

Anything special about this username that might make their path longer than average, maybe overrunning a limit on the redirected folder?

As for deleting where the paths are too long, you might save a step with robocopy to “mirror” an empty folder over the cache folder:

mkdir c:\empty
robocopy /MIR c:\empty "c:\users\user1\AppData\Roaming\BigFix\Enterprise Console"

I will suggest Long Path Tool program. It deletes, copies and renames path too long files or folders.

In the end, I unsubscribed the user from a site with a particularly long name, and the problem went away.
Her role, while they needed access to some of the site content, rarely used it. They have since created similar content in their custom sites.

I attribute part of the problem to “drift” in how our user accounts have been created/managed over the years. The LDAP environment reports the “username” with multiple different suffixes (after the @) and some are longer than others.

Oddly, the user that was impacted here, had the same length username that I do, and had the same suffix reported as my account, yet I have no trouble with using the Citrix published Console.

I wish OS’s could get away from the limits on path lengths! Modern HD’s are soooo large, that exceeding the max path length is easily possible.