Power Management

(imported topic written by PAJ23)

I’ve had the power management feature tracking about 3,000 desktops for a couple of months now. All the information is presented in the power dashboard except for the monthly potential power savings which remains at zero. Is there anything else I need to do to enable this? See attached.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi Paj,

Can you show a screen shot of your other statistics too in the “Monthly Power Consumption” section of the dashboard?

Ben

(imported comment written by PAJ23)

See new attachment

Hi Paj,

According to the information you posted, your computers are only on for an average of 7 hours a day, but you have a 9 hour workday option chosen… If your computers were on exactly 9 hours of a 9 hour workday, you would be at 0% (because there is no electricity to save because the users need their computers).

However, if you change your workday to 6 hours, you will see that you will probably be in the 10-20th percentile of power savings possibilities.

Ben

(imported comment written by PAJ23)

Thanks for that, the figures do change if I change the working hours. I thought the savings were based on managing power settings more effectively rather than just switching PC’s off when not in use.

Hi Paj,

The BES Power Management site can do many things to reduce the power:

• Allow you to turn the monitor off for inactivity.
  • Allow you to spin the drives down during inactivity.
  • Allow you to put the computer in low power mode during inactivity.
  • Allow you to turn off the computer during specific times of the day.

These are mostly implemented by managing the OS controls, but BES lets you manage these settings across all computers, view the power usage, view the current consumption, view the minimum theorectical consumption, etc.

To directly address your question, there is an assumption built into the power calculations that the system needs to be at full power during the workday because a user tends to be at the computer using it. If this isn’t true because the user tends to be away from the computer, then you can shorten the workday.

Does that make sense?

Ben

(imported comment written by npedrosa91)

Does anyone have links to the setup powerpower consumption dashboard? I tried searching the BES site but could not find it.

Hi npedrosa,

You first need to make sure that you have subscribed to the “BES Power Management” Fixlet site. If you do not have this Fixlet site, please contact your sales representative and check if you are licensed for this site.

Then you just go to Dashboards > BES Power Management.

Ben