Power Management on off utility

(imported topic written by hreich91)

I would like to find a simple way that a user can prevent power management from activating on their pc. We have some users that remote control their desktops on a periodic basis. I would prefer not having to add their pcs to our power management exception list as they would then be never be powered down. I would like a way for the user to take some action on their pc so that power management would not work for 24 hours or something like that.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi hreich,

How about creating a scheme where you have the default power policy that applies to all users except users that have a special exception reg key that will allow them 24 hours of exception (you will have another policy to set exception computers to a different power policy with conservative settings)…

Here is how it could work:

1. Make a property to detect the exception (this will return TRUE if the computer is in the 24 hour a power policy):

(exists value “PowerException” of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix” of registry) AND (value “PowerException” of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix” of registry as time > now - 1 * day)

1. Create a Task that sets this power exception setting:

Relevance (opposite of above relevance):

(not exists value “PowerException” of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix” of registry) OR (value “PowerException” of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix” of registry as time < now - 1 * day)
Action:

regset "

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix

" “PowerException”="{now}"

1. Take the action in the Task and make it an Offer (set it not to expire)

2. At this point, you know have a functioning exception scheme that is powered by a BigFix Offer that the user can click on at any time in the ClientUI in the system tray. The last steps will be to create the “standard” power policy and apply it to all computers that have a powerexception of FALSE and then create an “exception” power policy and apply it to all computers that have a powerexception of TRUE. Make sure these are policy actions that don’t expire and reapply.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

Ben