Post action restart not working

HI, I have BES client 9.5.14.73. I’m running security patches on 80 computers and selected to reset the computer 8 hours after the action is finished in post action settings. The action ran 5 days ago and till 30 computers has "Pending Restart " status. I have already added the _BESClient_ActionManager_PendingRestartExclusions settings. I checked 5 computer’s logs, but even the Force count restart line is not there (even not 1)… I connected to those 5 computers and saw the restart message with 7 hours deadline. how is it possible if the action finished 5 days ago?

What is the uptime on these devices which is showing “Pending Restart”? A restart may have happened if it was recent or related to the action timing, but it’s possible that these devices need to be restarted several times.

Did you select that it should restart automatically after the deadline?

If you are still not seeing any reboots, it’s possible that your action expired. I would advise you to re-validate your action execution, post action behavior, and client logs to correlate things.

these devices last restart was before the action even started. im using this analysis:
now - uptime of operating system.
i did select to restart automatically after the deadline and my action is open and not expired…
yesterday i connected to one of the devices and the bigfix popup showed that the restart deadline is in 8 hours without the option to cancel Action. I connected again 5 minutes ago and the popup shows 6 hours o deadline…
maybe its about users connection? My action users behavior is:
This action will run independently of user presence.
User interface will be shown to all users.

The post action behavior is:
After the action completes, the user will be requested to restart the computer.
The restart request will have a deadline of 8 hours after it is initially shown.
When the deadline is reached, the computer will restart automatically.
The following message will be displayed as the reboot/shutdown request:
the reboot request

I think the user and post-action behaviour are both fine, but since you are highlighting the ClientUI popup and starting the countdown when you login, it makes me wonder if the below fixlet is implemented and causing an issue.

If the BES Client hold mode is set to all, then no actions will be run unless the Client UI can be displayed, regardless of whether the Client UI failed to launch or was configured to be unavailable.

I never used these settings so not sure but you can play with it & test.

2 Likes

We saw issues with post action reboots when we were at 9.5.??

You may want to go through the change logs for versions after 9.5.14 to see if they addressed post action reboot issues.

Instead of doing post action restarts, we used the “Restart Needed” task and scheduled it after the patching window closed.