Physical Server inventory

Hi All,

We have a mix of VM’s and physical servers in our environment, what is the best way to show VM’s and Physical server inventory?

Thanks,

Do you have the bigfix client on all of the servers? If you just want a list of server names and ip addresses, you can use Bigfix web reports. And you can create properties for each piece of information you want in the inventory.
If you want a standard set of information, i would suggest looking at getting Bigfix inventory installed.

I’m new to bigfix so i’m not sure if we have bigfix inventory, I can get to our web reports but can’t login. How can I check permissions?

You will need to contact your Bigfix admins for checking the permissions for web reports login. You need to have a separate account for web reports.

Yeah, I have admin permissions but I’m still learning the platform. Can you tell me where it would be?

So you have admin permissions but cannot login? Really cannot make out what issue you are facing.
Once you login to web reports, go to Administration -> User Management. That is where all the magic happens.

The HW Inventory report has a column that identifies physical and virtual.
Look at it closely. If you have z/Linux and/or Solaris servers, you may find that the physicals are not shown.

Hi All, I’m a new bigfix user and have the following question:

We have a server / workstation environment with Physical as well as VMs and we would like to create a fixlet which runs on a schedule that would make discovery on any new host which doesn’t have the Bigfix client installed but with these conditions:

1. Only want to detect Windows Servers and nothing else ex. Linux etc.
  2. Not sure if this would be a problem but our servers (static) and workstation (DHCP) but is not defined by range. The IP range is not broken up for ex. 1-100 server and 101-254 workstation, it’s up mixed up with the servers using a reservation in DHCP.

Do you have the Asset Management license (could be bundled with a Lifecycle license)? If so you could create a custom copy of the Unmanaged Asset Scan task and limit the ports used in the NMAP scan to ignore Linux hosts (If I recall corrrectly it uses port 22 to detect SSH)

Also how can I set the scan to ignore all Microsoft workstations such as WIndows 7, Win8 and Win10 and only scanning for Microsoft Server based machines?

I’m not sure that there is a way to do that. In this case BigFix is using an nmap scan to discover machines. I’m not sure there’s a good way to tell the Discovery tool to not Discover things.

Maybe you should just let the discovery run, and then decide afterward upon which discovered things you wish to perform some remediation.