Patch not installed but shows installed in Web report

Hi,

We patched our servers with September month released patch from microsoft. One server had 3 patch relevant, we installed them through IBM Bigfix. Webreports also shows that patches are installed but when checked manually,only one patch is installed.

Kindly extend your support.

Regards,
Divya

2 Likes

Which patches?

Web Reports doesn’t really say “the patch is installed”. What it shows is “the fixlet was once relevant, but is now remediated”.

So if the Delta update, Security-Only update, and Cumulative update were all relevant, and you installed the Cumulative (which includes the other two), then all three Fixlets will show as ‘Fixed’.

1 Like

Hi,

KB4457135 is installed while KB4457140 and KB4457426 are not installed.

Will post you with the screen shot of the before and after patch of a system and also manual.

Thanks

Regards,
Divya

In the future, it would be helpful if you posted the KB, the update name, and perhaps the fixlet IDs. It’s troublesome to go back and forth between tabs on a phone to google this for you.

Not sure you understand what I wrote earlier but based on your KB numbers I think I was correct -

September 11, 2018—KB4457140 (Security-only update)

KB4457426 Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: September 11, 2018

• The fixes that are included in this Security Update for Internet Explorer (KB 4457426) are also included in the September 2018 Security Monthly Quality Rollup. Installing either the Security Update for Internet Explorer or the Security Monthly Quality Rollup installs the fixes that are in this update

September 11, 2018—KB4457135 (Monthly Rollup)

So installing just KB4457135 also corrects the other two packages and they will all appear as ‘fixed’ in Bigfix.

1 Like

Hi,

In Future, we will make sure that i will post all KB,the update name, and perhaps the fixlet IDs.

As per my understanding from the above information, it is sufficient to install KB4457135 as it is a monthly roll up and KB4457140 and KB4457426 will not show up as KB4457135 is already installed.

Please confirm the above understanding.

Regards,
Divya

@JasonWalker @leewei
Please find the screenshot for your reference.

1) Before patch deployment report applicable patch Number and name

2) Web report Patches installed report same system

3) Signal patch installed on the server.

In the Bigfix console showing not applicable any patches to the server.

Sorry I am not familiar with that report and do not understand what you are trying to convey.

Hi sureshhan,

KB4457129 is the monthly rollup which means it includes the updates from KB4457143 and KB4457426.

It is expected that fixlets for KB4457143 and KB4457426 are not applicable to the server if KB4457129 has been installed.

Hi

Server applicable 3 patches KB4457129, KB4457143, KB4457426 on the bigfix console.

We have started the Baseline deployment on the server it is showing signal KB4457129 installed on the server.

BUT report showing 3 patches KB4457129, KB4457143, KB4457426 is installed on the server.

That is correct.

Once KB4457129 has been installed, the other two fixlets have changed to “Not Relevant”.

Web Reports doesn’t actually say “the patch has been installed”. A better way to understand this is “the vulnerability has been remediated”. Installing KB4457129 has remediated all three issues.

@leewei

We need your help on this Web report part

Why it’s showing Three patches installed on the server.

https://forum.bigfix.com/uploads/default/original/2X/c/ced39ac475abd775c8778a92e57329dced65f346.jpg

Auditor saying that your reports are not giving me the right information.

@sureshhan, hello, I expect the report to be showing the same information as the BigFix Console. For the 3 patches MS18-SEP* on server XXXMDB, what does the Console indicate for their applicability and relevance?

Thanks for the Update.

Have seen the screenshot attached to the forum.

In the bigfix console not applicable any patches MS18-SEP on server XXXMDB.

Pending patches showing 3 patches before deployment.

We required report like how many patches installed on the server report. Kindly suggest.

@sureshhan, if the Console is showing the patches as not applicable, the report is reflecting the same information. I would look into this independent of the report.

The Monthly Rollup includes the other two. Installing the monthly rollup makes the other two non-relevant so they are no longer applicable in the console and will appear as “Fixed” in Web Reports. There doesn’t appear to be anything wrong with what you are seeing.

Thank You all your support…
@JasonWalker and @leewei