Password expiration local console operator

In case of having local console operators I would like to check potential password expiration date. However, I did not find this information. Any ideas? Dokumentation did not help me:

https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Console/c_monitoring_operators.html
https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Config/c_list_of_advanced_options.html#conceptTueSep160103122014

So you have maximumPasswordAgeDays configured already and want to report when the expiration will occur for each operator?

Exact. Last expiration was during my vacation, bad luck for my colleagues :slight_smile:

Hm. I thought I made some progress with Session Relevance to get the maximum password age:

(name of it, value of it | "none") of bes deployment options

with results like

maximumPasswordAgeDays, 720
passwordComplexityDescription, ( Passwords must contain 8 characters or more, both uppercase and lowercase letters, and at least 1 digit. )
passwordComplexityRegex, ( (?=.*[[:lower:]])(?=.*[[:upper:]])(?=.*[[:digit:]]).{8,} )

But, after getting the maximumPasswordAgeDays, I haven’t found a ‘bes user’ property or even a REST API call that will retrieve the operators’ last password change time.

So far I’ve managed to build a SQL query that retrieves them, though, if this helps at all.

select username
  , PasswordLastChanged
  , MaxPasswordAge
  , DATEADD(day, CAST(MaxPasswordAge as int), PasswordLastChanged) as PasswordExpirationTime
FROM 
  (SELECT userinfo.username as username
  , userinfo.PasswordLastChanged as PasswordLastChanged
  , (
      SELECT adminfield.FieldContents AS MaxPasswordAge from [BFEnterprise].[dbo].[ADMINFIELDS]  as adminfield 
      WHERE adminfield.FieldName='Z:maximumPasswordAgeDays' 
     ) as MaxPasswordAge
  FROM bfenterprise.dbo.USERINFO as userinfo
  where userinfo.ldapID is NULL
) AS test

Results sample

username PasswordLastChanged MaxPasswordAge PasswordExpirationTime
mo 2023-01-06 02:31:12.190 720 2024-12-26 02:31:12.190
bfc 2023-02-02 18:42:51.453 720 2025-01-22 18:42:51.453
bfi_service 2023-02-02 18:51:21.810 720 2025-01-22 18:51:21.810
1 Like

Oh, seems to be more tricky than expected. As a first step, SQL statement is pretty helpful, thanks very much.
I assume posting an idea / RFE to add this feature might be helpful for the future. Usually I prefer LDAP authenticated users of course but in some cases a local operator makes sense in my opinion.

1 Like