Parsing log file for date of last occurrence [Relevance]

Hi There,

I’m trying to put together relevance that will get the date of the most recent (last) occurrence of a string “Completed backup to” in a log file. The query usually returns multiple results like this:

Q: (lines whose (it contains “Completed backup to”) of file “/Library/Logs/CrashPlan/backup_files.log.0”)
A: I 05/23/15 01:11PM 432353759058722817 [Default] Completed backup to Dublin
A: I 05/23/15 08:45PM 432353759058722817 [Default] Completed backup to Dublin
A: I 05/23/15 11:45PM 432353759058722817 [Default] Completed backup to Dublin
A: I 05/24/15 02:45AM 432353759058722817 [Default] Completed backup to Dublin

How would I return the last date “05/24/15”?

Thanks for any help.

might be a solution here Get last line of variably named log file

1 Like

Thanks, I saw this already but I can’t see how to make it work for my problem. It returns the last line for text file but not the last occurrence of the string. Perhaps it could be tailored to work for my problem, but I can’t see how to do that.

This is completely untested:

maxima of ( (it as date) of ( ((it as integer as string) of preceding text of last "/" of following text of first "/" of it ) &" "& (preceding text of first "/" of it as integer as month as three letters)&" "& (following text of last "/" of it as integer as string)) of preceding text of first " " of following text of first "I " of it) of lines whose (it contains "Completed backup to") of files whose(name of it as lowercase contains ".log") of folders "/Library/Logs/CrashPlan"

based upon: http://bigfix.me/relevance/details/3002294

2 Likes

If it’s physically the last line to contain the string “Completed backup to” then you should be able to extract using the number of lines.

number of lines whose (it contains "Completed backup to") of file "/Library/Logs/CrashPlan/backup_files.log.0"

should give you a number - in the your example you should get 4.

That did it jgstew, thank you so much! And thanks gearoid for your suggestions. Final relevance pasted at bottom.
I adapted the relevance for Windows machines, but they’re returning a Windows error:
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

As these are log files they are always going to be “in use” by the Crashplan application. Any way around this? I did a search on the forum and couldn’t find anything. I presume this problem happens with many log files

Thanks

if not exists file "/Library/Logs/CrashPlan/history.log.0" then "Not Installed!" else if not(content of file "/Library/Logs/CrashPlan/history.log.0" contains "Starting backup to ") then "Backup Never Started!" else if not(content of file "/Library/Logs/CrashPlan/history.log.0" contains "Completed backup to ") then "Backup Started but Never Completed" else maxima of ( (it as date ) of ( ((it as integer as string) of preceding text of last "/" of following text of first "/" of it ) & " " & (preceding text of first "/" of it as integer as month as three letters)& " " & "20" & (following text of last "/" of it as integer as string)) of preceding text of first " " of following text of first "I " of it) of lines whose (it contains "Completed backup to") of files whose (name of it as lowercase contains "history.log.0") of folders "/Library/Logs/CrashPlan" as string
1 Like

Did you try it through the fixlet debugger, or the console, or both?

For Log Files, sometimes it works through the console, but not the debugger… other times it is the opposite.

I think your relevance is a bit more complicated than it needs to be and could be simplified. It would also be better split up into multiple analysis properties. It is also asserting the wrong thing in some cases, like “Not Installed!”, which really should be “No Logs”

I would break up the analysis properties like this:

Number of Log Files

number of files whose(name of it as lowercase contains ".log.") of folders "/Library/Logs/CrashPlan"

Number of Log Files that can be read

number of files whose(name of it as lowercase contains ".log." AND exists lines of it) of folders "/Library/Logs/CrashPlan"

At Least one Backup Started?

exists files whose(name of it as lowercase contains ".log." AND (content of it) contains "Starting backup to ") of folders "/Library/Logs/CrashPlan"

At Least one Backup Completed?

This is redundant with the property below.

exists files whose(name of it as lowercase contains ".log." AND (content of it) contains "Completed backup to ") of folders "/Library/Logs/CrashPlan"

Most Recent Backup?

maxima of ( (it as date) of ( ((it as integer as string) of preceding text of last "/" of following text of first "/" of it ) &" "& (preceding text of first "/" of it as integer as month as three letters)&" "& (following text of last "/" of it as integer as string)) of preceding text of first " " of following text of first "I " of it) of lines whose (it contains "Completed backup to ") of files whose(name of it as lowercase contains ".log.") of folders "/Library/Logs/CrashPlan"

All of the above properties can actually be combined into a universal analysis for Mac & Windows with the following:

number of files whose(name of it as lowercase contains ".log." AND exists lines of it) of (folders "/Library/Logs/CrashPlan"; folders "path\to\windows\crashplan\log\location")
1 Like

I tried both. I presume (like with many log files) the process keeps the file open. Is there no way around this in Bigfix? One would presume there are so many cases where log files are kept always open.

Thanks for the suggestion to break up the analysis. I have done that now

That is surprising - the agent’s inspectors should be able to read.
Can you read those files from something else on those same computers or maybe there’s something a little different about their access rights ?
What OS are you on?

I have seen the same thing where the client won’t read a log file that is open by another process.

It would be nice if the log file was small enough that the BES Client would just copy the file into RAM to inspect instead of being locked out.

@gearoid I think it was mentioned this was happening on windows, which is where I have experienced it before too.

Yes, it would be nice if Bigfix could just read the files. They have full permissions for admins and regular users. If the command promppt (in non admin mode) can read the files (e.g. using the “type” command), then Bigfix certainly should. Reckon I should log a case with IBM?

1 Like

I’m using Windows 8. Full perms to admin and regular users alike for the log files. I can read the files in command prompt (in non admin mode), using for example the “type” command, as in:

type C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\log\history.log.0

Not a bad idea. There should already be an RFE about this, but filing a PMR isn’t a bad idea. I think the BigFix client is being too hands off of the file that is open but not locked by another process.

OK, I’ll report back with any useful info. Thanks again for your help!!

2 Likes

I can’t believe there isn’t a “file for reading”, “read only file” or other type of property that would only do a read access to a file that is in use by another user (system log files)!? It makes me feel like I’m back in the 90’s! In my opinion, this issue makes IBM/BigFix seem a bit outdated. This is something that should have been addressed.

For those of you that want to make this happen, here is the RFE that appears to address the file locked issue.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=46608

Vote once, vote often!

1 Like

What’s particularly frustrating is that I have been talking indirectly to the Bigfix
developers and they insist the problem is a feature! They insist it’s for our own good which I don’t accept for a second.

Their reasoning: “While the file may be opened allowing other applications
read access, BESClient will not open a file for inspection that is opened
by some other application with write access.
This is intentional, to avoid the file being changed while BESClient is
examining it. The result of inspecting a file that is in the process of
being changed by another application is unpredictable.”

They are saying that even though the parent program explicitly says “Hey,
everyone can read this file, I’m giving you all permission!”, and even
though I would have no problem if I could just read this file, they feel
that us customers still shouldn’t be able to read the file for our own good
to protect us from our own errors. That seems condescending and it just
doesn’t make sense as in the majority of use-cases this would not be a
problem. In a billion other ways, Bigfix gives you the freedom and power to
make our own decision whether or not this causes an issue. In addition,
there are ways to tell if a program is currently writing to a file, which
would avoid the above concern. On Mac and Linux, I can read all files from
Bigfix, and I also have an identical use-case on Macs which can read the log file fine, no problems ever. I still don’t accept this as a good answer. It seems like
IBM’s excuse to do nothing instead of address a valid problem - unless I’m
missing something in their explanation.

I can see an argument for their “feature”, but I am calling BS on two accounts:

1. This feature is not present in any other OS supported. One of BigFix’s major issues (in my opinion) is the lack of continuity between OS’s.

2. It shouldn’t matter if the file is changed as you are reading it or immediately before or after you read it. The point of the fixlet is to get the state of the file at the time it is evaluated. Not 2 seconds ago, not in 2 seconds. Read the file and return the results for the nano-second it was read.

Sorry for the soap-box. I can’t stand it when the vendor calls something a ‘feature’ that the majority of end users call a ‘bug’.

2 Likes

@ctan & @seanscriv :smile:

I can see their reasoning for this being the default behavior, but there should be a way to override the behavior using an inspector where you except the consequences of reading a file that is opened for writing.

Related:

I can see their “reasoning”, but it’s also poor and very incomplete reasoning if, as you say, there’s no way to override it :slight_smile:

1 Like