Over 4000 duplicated machines showed up in our database this morning

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

Hello,

When I checked the environment today I noticed there were over 11k computers in the database, this is strange because we normally only have about 7k or so. I ran the little duplication removal utility and it removed 4495 computers. My question is - how can I find out the root cause of the problem? from the couple of threads I found about this most seem to point to a Version Upgrade - however there were no system upgrades going on over the weekend, and no new actions have been introduced. Are there any logs or anything like that I can look at to point me in the right direction?

Thank you for any assistance you can give me,

Alex

EDIT 1:42pm EST:

After deleting the duplicate i’ve noticed our numbers dropped down to normal levels - but are slowly rising again. within the last hour we had 20 new duplicates enter the database…

(imported comment written by cstoneba)

do you have any actions running that could be causing a reset of the BES Client?

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Negative on the client resetting actions - we ran a site wide client and relay reset - but that was on the 12th - and the computers did not start duplicating until this weekend. (Although I do want to set up another client reset action in the near future, maybe next week or so).

I ran another Duplicate Deletion job at 12:40 PM, and had 6149 Windows Workstations - right now I have 6189, so its growing slowly.

Our retention period for old computers is 30 days so its not that we have a lot computer just popping in.

EDIT:

We deleted the “ComputerID” line when we ran the client reset two weeks ago - that way we dont get this exact problem.

Also we got 7 more duplicated computers in the last 30 minutes…