Outdated Catalog

I deployed the latest catalog to my BFI Server and the Catalog Upload page confirms it was successful:

Catalog Version Information
Current Catalog Version: 10.0.0.1
Endpoint Scanner Catalog: 10

As normal, I then download the catalog upload fixlet and deployed it to my estate. However, within BFI home page Software Health Scan widget, the endpoints show as having an outdated catalog. Their report shows as having a Catalog Version of 2638543 which is right but an Endpoint Scanner Catalog Version of 9 (not 10 like shows on the server).

1. What is the Endpoint Scanner Catalog and how does it different from the Catalog?
  2. Why would the deployed Endpoint Scanner Catalog version not be the same as what is on the server?

The Endpoint Scanner Catalog Version in my BFI v10 implementation is at 0 (zero). This number is derived from adding or changing custom signatures after the base catalog is installed.

There should be an action in the BF Console called Catalog Download (Version: 2638543.10) which updates the Endpoint Scanner Catalog. If you don’t see it, you can re-issue it from the BFI Software Catalog: Catalog Upload page:

From that popup, that’s the same method I use to get the updated catalog that I then deploy to all my clients but I only ever do it when the Server’s catalog version updates.

I do see in the “Catalog Download Fixlet” link it does now download “2638543.10” whereas when I ran it last, it was “2638543.9”.

I only have 1 custom signature and that is from a year ago so I definitely haven’t done any custom signature modifications 10 times since the base catalog was updated. I’m curious what is causing it to keep revising the Endpoint Scanner Catalog version.

Certain discoveries generate new catalog entries as well. Do you have MacOSX clients?

2 MacOSX Clients, only 1 active in BFI. No Last Scan Attempt value for it.

A new feature was added to BFI (in one of 9.2.X versions) related to template based signature creation. When a new software based on certain template is discovered, the signature is added to the catalog during import and the “Endpoint Scanner Catalog” version (the digits after .) gets updated.

Compare the “Endpoint Scanner Catalog” version from Management -> Catalog Upload panel with the catalog version that was downloaded recently to see if there is a difference.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, the server catalog version is .10 and the fixlet I deployed was .9. Is there any way to see which new discovered software was added to the catalog to cause it to rev?

Check the “Component Creation” field for anything that was created after the last catalog upload/download to the endpoints (in Reports -> Software Instances or Reports -> Signatures"

Yes, there are 29 new signatures with a source of “SWID Tags” that were created since the server catalog was updated.

So that’s interesting that the scanner is identifying and creating new signatures from SWID tag files from the endpoints and 3rd party signature providers is now now the only source BFI gets signatures from.

Is this new feature documented in the BFI documentation?

BFI has a number of Signature Definition Sources. You can see these in the Signatures report by including the Signature Definition Source column in the base report. I’ve listed the current set below.

I’m not sure where the SWID tag processing details are documented. That might be a useful webinar…

Sources

• SWID Tags
  • Customers definition
  • IBM LMT Product Enablement
  • IBM IGS Signature Bank
  • IBM Base Catalog
  • IBM Customer Cooperation I, II, and III
  • GAM (not sure what this one represents)
  • SLM Tags
  • Custom
  • SWID IBM Tags Without License Info
  • ILMT Readiness 3.1 & 4.0
  • Express Metrix (This is where 3rd party software signatures typically are found)
  • IBM Internal Development
  • IBM Canonical 3 Catalog

In BigFix Inventory few updates ago were introduced Template Signatures - general rules for product discovery.

When BFI sees a possibility that a Template Signature might be used, it creates a ‘regular’ signature derived from the template one with SWID Tags definition source. Later on these derived signatures are used for reporting the software discovery.

1 Like

@kpienkowski Does HCL have any release notes or other documentation on this functionality? I am interested in understanding the details of how the catalog is maintained and the interaction with the scanner. Thanks.

1 Like