OSX/MaMi - Mac DNS hijacking malware

As of last night not detected by antivirus, but an easy indicator is to check which DNS servers your clients are using.

1 Like

Here’s the relevance for the property I added to my Mac Security analysis this morning

exists lines whose (it contains "82.163.143.135" OR it contains "82.163.142.137") of file "/etc/resolv.conf"
1 Like

I added that here as well: FYI new MacOS 0 day exploit

exists (it as trimmed string) whose(it contains "82.163.143.135" OR it contains "82.163.142.137") of following texts of firsts "nameserver " of lines containing "nameserver " of files "/etc/resolv.conf"

I was trying to figure out if there was another way to read the Mac’s DNS server settings, but I didn’t take the time to go diving into the IORegistry Explorer.

Off topic, but I didn’t know about lines containing. Is that just another way to do lines whose (it contains <string>) or is there something special about it?

1 Like

Essentially yes, but it should be slightly faster, but I think it might be case sensitive.

I often do something like this:

lines containing "merica" whose(it as lowercase starts with "america") of files "whatever.txt"

If I want a line that starts with america or America but not aMerica

An alternative would be:

lines whose(it as lowercase starts with "america") of files "whatever.txt"

BUT this would match on aMerica which I may or may not want. Also, in this case, all lines of the file get processed by the whose clause, which isn’t the case with lines containing

1 Like