OSD: WinPE for Deploy vs WinPE for Capture

In order to deploy to certain classes of hardware after upgrading to WinPE 1709, I had to generate a new PE10 1709 image with the June 2018 patch rollup installed (I could have gone back as far as the January rollup per MS’s KB article, but this month’s is what I had handy).

Now I’m having an odd issue. If I deploy an OS to a VMWare virtual machine, the process is working just fine. But when I use the Capture dashboard, when the VM boots into the WinPE image it cannot connect to the network. The client fails to get a DHCP address, and if I manually apply IP configuration it still cannot ping out or see any traffic on the network.

Both the Deploy and Capture PE images report version 10.0.16299.492. For all intents it looks like the same WinPE to me; but the Bare Metal Deployment workflow connects and the Capture workflow does not.

Do the OSD dashboards treat the WinPE images differently, as far as maybe the Deploy workflow doesn’t bring down extra drivers from the driver library or something along those lines? Do I need to manually load WinPE drivers that are going to be needed during the Capture workflow?

(…another case where having support for multiple PE images would be real nice)

Nevermind, turns out this was a problem with our VM infrastructure, related to changing the virtual switch configuration after I had saved my image configuration snapshot. When I reverted to the snapshot to perform a capture, my virtual network was disconnected.

2 Likes