OSD issues with bare metal server 310.20, 310.21?

In chatting with colleagues, we’ve seen some speed issues especially with TFTP in the 310.20 version of bare metal server.

This past week there was a forum post reply and a site refresh including bare metal server 310.21. There have been no release notes posted about what’s fixed, or any config changes we may need to make.

I had to change some of my tftp tuning parameters. With 310.20 or 310.21, I’m seeing my boot.wim tftp download has gone from about one minute to about three minutes. I’m not sure that’s entirely due to the bare metal server versioning as I’ve also had some vmware infrastucture changes.

I wanted to start a thread here so we can see what experiences others are having.

Anecdotally, I’ve been hearing up to an hour on the TFTP download stage. First thing I would check there are the TFTP parameters, both in the Bare Metal Server web interface and in the WinPE TFTP settings configure by the task in the OSD bigfix site.

What seems to be working best for me are tftp segment size 1432 bytes, and winpe block sizes of 4 or 6. Previously a 16 block size was working well for me, but in packet captures I’m seeing missing packets and block retransmits, along with 20 minutes or more with 16 block segments. I don’t know whether that’s due to recent Windows patches or the VMWare changes in my environments, but by tuning to 1432 / 6 I’m back to an acceptable 2-3 minute WinPE download.

Hello,
in the last OSd site refresh (#81) an issue dealing with a slowing down of TFTP, introduced with 7.1.1.20.310.20, has been fixed with latest Bare Metal Server (7.1.1.20.310.21).
Upgrading to 320.21, TFTP download performances will be back to previous values.
Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you for the update, Sergio, but I am still looking for release notes.

I haven’t found a release notes for 310.20 either, for that matter, and no announcement here in the forums or any release notes for the site refreshes or the Bare Metal Server versions 310.20 or 310.21.

I know there are functionality changes in 310.20 that provide new options in the rembo.conf file; some of them were added based on PMRs that my organization needed to address.