OS Deployment | UEFI | PXE Baremetal Profile - Install on DISK-1 not DISK-0 - How to?

Hi,

OS Deployment | UEFI | PXE Baremetal Profile - Install on DISK-1 not DISK-0 - How do you accomplish that and also format DISK-0

I haven’t found documentation about the syntax of the partition mapping

I haven’t tried that myself, but have you seen that the ‘Partition Mapping’ item in the Bare Metal Profile can be clicked to expand? The “Disk Number” and “Partition Number” fields below are editable, I’d start by trying those options.

Hello.
the default partitioning will install the OS on the disk 0, as you should see in the bare metal profile partition mappings section.
If you instead finally see that the OS is installed on disk 1 instead, and disk 0 is not used, it could be that the WinPE deployment engine (that has in charge to partition the disk) see the order of the disks inverted, so it installs on disk 0, but then the OS sees it as disk 1.
In this case I suggest to change the disk for the OS from 0 to 1 in the partition mappings of your bare metal profile (for all the partitions of OS disk), but then you have also to add at least one single partition on disk 0 (partition with index 0, 100% of the space and with no wim index associated) to pass the partition mappings validation, or it will complain that the partition mappings is not starting from 0. With this additional partition, the disk 0 in the WinPE (that is the disk 1 in the OS if I correctly identified the behavior) will be formatted with a single empty partition.
Sorry but I only tested the partition mappings validation, not the deployment.
Sergio
BigFix OSD L3

1 Like

@sergio_tarchi I want to Install the OS on DISK-1 as C: and want to format DISK-0 as D:

The use case: a Customer received lots of machines with this configuration: Disk-0 HDD, Disk-1 SSD, the OS should be installed on the SSD disk and the HDD disk should be formatted.
They cannot open the case and change the order because of warranty.

Didn’t Work

I’m not sure that this can work. I suggest to open a case to BigFix OSD support team to analyze the failure looking at logs files.
Thanks.

Hello.
Did you try to see if it’s possible, entering in the firmware, to disable the HDD disk so that the SSD is seen as unique disk?
Thanks.

@sergio_tarchi They did at first went into the BIOS and disabled the SATA disk so the SSD will be shown as unique - as they do that, the default partition mapping worked correctly and the Deployment was successful. of course, after that they re-enabled the SATA disk on the BIOS and manually initialized it and formatted it.

But as you understand, they don’t want to procced this way.