OS Deployment relays?

Hey all, with OS Deployment, does everything live on the main Bigfix server, or can images be distributed among the relay infrastructure and get the image within the same subnet? For instance, if we have remote locations that have their own relay, if we would OS Deployment to image a new lane or upgrade the OS, would it be WAN traffic from the main Bigfix Server to the remote location, or LAN traffic from the local relay at the remote location? I appreciate any info on that. I didn’t see anything outside of the image being housed on the main server when I was researching it.

Yes, in fact there are a couple of different ways of looking at it.

If you’re using any of the Upgrade or Reimaging images, those are applied to the native end computer using the normal BES Client downloads (which cache via the Relay hierarchy).

If you’re using any of the Bare Metal Profile images (either via PXE boot or by generating boot media), those communicate directly with a Bare Metal Server (which could be your root server, but is normally a Relay). You may add the Bare Metal Server services to any Windows-based Relay in your deployment, and normally multiple are installed in order to limit network traffic across regions (which looks like what you’re trying to do).

Once you deploy Bare Metal Servers, you use the Image Library dashboard to define which images to host (precache) on each server.

This setup is described at Bare Metal deployments