Oracle EL 7 reboot issue

Hi All,

Just to let you know a little issue that came up while working on OEL7 patching.

Our Oracle team created a baseline to deploy patches to some test systems and then took action on that baseline. On the “Post-Action” tab, they set the server to reboot after the deployment. The baseline deployed successfully, but they would not come back up.

A ticket was opened to Oracle and they asked what command was issued to reboot the server. After opening a ticket with IBM to get confirmation, the command issued is “init 6 restart”. According to Oracle (and our Linux team) this is the incorrect command to use for OEL7. We are supposed to use “systemctl reboot” (see https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E52668_01/E53499/html/section-m3l-ljj-4n.html)

I want to do some more testing on this, but the Linux team is hesitant to test out the reboot and have to rebuild it. Can’t blame them as they are totally swamped right now.

So for now, we will create a fixlet to use to reboot and use the correct command.

BTW, this is on 9.5.4.38

Martin

Not sure where that information comes from but the BESAgent that runs on OEL will perform the following to restart

/sbin/shutdown -r +1

with the +1 replaced by now on subsequent requests. That will be what is done with the Post-Action tab.

It is from the ticket I have open with IBM.

What I typed is from the code that does the restart so not sure where they got that from.