Offline systems reconnecting after long period

We use encryption in our environment and we also have authenticating internet facing relays. We also have a scheduled computer cleanup task that removes systems offline more than 21 days. We have a few customers that image a machine, get all the tools installed, including BigFix, then put the laptop in a closet until it is needed. Sometimes this may be a month or two before they ship it out to a remote user.

If they were to boot it up before they shipped it out, it would not be an issue, internal relays are not authenticating. But, they just send it to their users expecting everything to work since those systems were reporting in when they shut them down last. Once the user boots it up, they never connect. We do have an external dns entry for our URL (The one in the masthead) and it points to one of those internet facing, authenticating, relays. However, those systems that have been powered off for more than a month (Maybe more, I don’t have a timeline), never call in.

Is there a timeout period? Maybe the cert expires? I am not having luck trying to find an answer to this.

Thanks in advance for the help.

When you delete the computer, the certificate is revoked. I believe you’ll need to tune your 21-day cleanup to avoid removing these computers, or preconfigure them with an authentication password so they can re-register on the authenticating relays, or perform a manual registration with the ‘besclient -register’ command supplying a registration password manually.

1 Like

Good to know. As Always, thanks @JasonWalker