Offline O365 Patching

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask you a question, in the infrastructure where we have implemented bigfix we have more than 20000 endpoints. In the last O365 semi-annual patch we got a network saturation in an internal link. I ask you have any recommendation on how to manage the deployment of heavy patches (2.5gb approximately). Or is there any way to deploy it offline?

Thank you!

Offline? Like mailing a flash drive with the patches?

Out-of-the-box, there are several controls that can be made, but it’s a really broad topic so you may have to tell us what you’ve already pursued and what you’d like to learn more about. Off the top of my head these fall into several categories -

• Distributing Relays to limit trips “across the WAN” from clients, and tuning their cache sizes to hold downloads longer
  • Staggering the action creation or scheduled start times so clients stagger their download requests
  • Throttling relay bandwidth usage. Downloads take longer to complete but use less bandwidth at any given time.
  • Configuring clients to download directly from the Internet source instead of using Relays, especially if the clients are external.
  • Configuring the Action to not ‘precache’ the downloads, and instead trigger downloads at the (staggered) action-start-time. The Actions/Maintenance Window taked longer to complete, but the downloads are staggered over time for less stress on the network links.

I’d have to check, but I think the O365 patches in particular have several options for direct delta-downloads rather than full-file updates, but that requires the clients to download directly rather than using the Relay infrastructure. Check the Fixlet descriptions for details, I think each Fixlet has several different Action options.

(…and the ‘mailing flash drive’ comment isn’t just me being flippant - there’s an actual use-case for that but it usually centers around OS Deployment)

we have 30k systems. Additional relays do not always help because Click to Run patches pull directly from MS. As @JasonWalker said, make sure you have sufficient relays (We have over 450) and try and deploy after hours. We do passive patching for two weeks then we send the deployments with a “message” and a 8 hour deadline. We usually start the message at 10 AM to cover late workers

This helps to spread the load out a little.