# of relays in Relays.dat limitation? (Solved)

I’m running across an issue where I can’t get all my relays in the Relays.dat file. We have well over 2800 relays and we are working on automatic relay affiliation. I can’t get the number of relays in file past 204. I’ve made changes to weight and _BESRelay_Register_Affiliation_AdvertisementList property and I see the updates for the ones that are already there, but it never shakes things up enough to get past 204 records.

Thoughts?

Take a look under BigFix Relay Behavior heading from the link below, it mentions something about the relays.dat file not being updated until certain actions are taken. Also, did you misspell the property above, looks like it should be _BESRelay_Register_Affiliation_AdvertisementList

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Relay%20Affiliation

I have about 1500 relays in my environment and they all show up with no issues.

The property set is set correctly. This forum is formatting the text based on some criteria. The first two underscores were being dropped for some reason and I didn’t see it before publishing this thread.

_BESRelay_Register_Affiliation_AdvertisementList

Here’s the snippet I believe your talking about from that page:

The Relays.dat file is not updated until the BigFix Relay reports that it is a member of the relay affiliation group, it hostname/IP can be resolved by the Root Server, and an action is taken by the master BigFix Console operator.

didn’t give a lot of details on how that’s done, but I was just poking around 2 identical relays. One in the .dat, and one not in it. Found this difference.

_BESRelay_Selection_AutoSelectableRelay

I’ll play with setting that and maybe that will open things up.

Dangit… it was that _BESRelay_Selection_AutoSelectableRelay = 0 value. We had a consultant come in when we were fist deploying and sure enough, this was being set.

1 Like

Good to know, I had no idea. I don’t have that value in my relays though, weird deal.

1 Like

Thanks for providing the solution. I wonder if this is something new? Or wasn’t required previously?

This came up false for me in a dev environment:

exists scripts whose(it contains "_BESRelay_Selection_AutoSelectableRelay") of actions of bes fixlets

Seems like non of the IBM content contains this setting.

That is an old setting that is rarely used.
It is not something that we would recommend unless it was required, as in the initial case with Jon’s deployment.
If you use it, make a good note of it for future reference as it can, as shown here, create havoc unintentionally.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know.

Why was it required in this case? Was it required because it was in use, so then it needed to be used going forward?

It made sense for the use case at the time. For the initial relays at that site, they wanted manual selection only. They never wanted the possibility of any automatic selection. When we started building out the new ones, old fixlets were copied over and not really reviewed. We are building out to be much more dynamic now.

1 Like