O365 fixlets with high failure rate

Hello,

We have been seeing high failure rates for O365 Current Channel patches when running via patch policy and when actions are taken manually. Are there best practices that we need to be aware of or is this just normal behavior.

Some context would be helpful.

Which fixlet and action are you running?
Do clients declare themselves not relevant or do they run the action?
Does the action run to completion or abort at some point (and if so, where)?
What return codes do you get?

I’ve had this issue for quite some time as well.

Every month there are Office related patches available, BigFix attempts to install them and they either report as being installed properly (until a reboot at which time Windows rolls back) or they report as failures. Our L2 team tries to manually install the same patches and 85% of the time they are successful.

Note that this doesn’t happen on every computer but on a handful of them. I’ve assumed that there’s something wrong with the Office install and have removed it and re-installed but that doesn’t make a difference.

@trn sorry for the lack of context, I will try to add more details, your input and help is appreciated.

A resent example that is good to use:
00-1940384: Office 365 Version 16.0.17126.20132 Available - Current Channel - Office 365 (English (United States)) Fixlet ID is 365012649

• The fixlet is relevant in the patching policy
  • If I look at the fixlet itself it is relevant to the devices that fail the install

The patching policy runs fine, all updates install exept for the O365 patch(es) and it only fails on some devices
If I run the fixlet to the device themself that failed already via patching policy they still fail

Exit Code = 0
Action Script = Everything shows as Completed

I hope that helps

“Note that this doesn’t happen on every computer but on a handful of them. I’ve assumed that there’s something wrong with the Office install and have removed it and re-installed but that doesn’t make a difference.”

This is the same problem. Most of the time if a sysadmin remotes into the server and downloads and installs the patch manually, it will work. Not all devices but enough that this is a real issue, in short the failure rate is much higher then other updates

I suggest follow the following article - https://support.hcltechsw.com/csm?id=kb_article&sysparm_article=KB0106708
And if you can share the results :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, I will look into this and let you know