No VM Manager Data from Hyper-V hosts

I have a number of VMs that are on Hyper-V that are reporting “No VM Manager Data”. However, there are other VMs on those same hosts that do not have this issue.

The VM Manager tool is able to communicate with the Hyper-V host.

I’ve run the “Run Capacity Scan and Upload Results” with the single capacity scan and force upload option for these VMs. Afterwards I’ve run the “Force VM Manager Tool Scan Results Upload”, and then ran the Import process in BFI. Yet nothing changes.

How do I go about debugging this issue, or what do I need to do to get these VMs to report their data properly?

Mike,
Here are steps to address VM Manager data issues.
https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/inventory/Inventory/admin/c_troubleshooting_no_vm_manager_data.html?hl=troubleshooting%2Cvm%2Cmanager%2Cdata

Please refer to “Check whether the VM Manager Tool collects valid and complete results.” step if guest information is missing for some VMs from same host

1 Like

Right, I saw that page already.

The UUID of the server is included in the XML that’s uploaded from the VM Manager tool, so I’m looking at step #4 “What to do when the UUID is found in the result files, and the VM Manager connection is still flagged as No VM Manager Data No VM Manager data in BigFix Inventory”.

It says “Open the log package and go to the debug directory”. Where would this log file be located? On the server with the VM Manager tool? On the Hyper-V host? On the BigFix server?

I ran vmman -retrievedebugdata on the server with the VM Manager tool, it created a debugData.zip file but the files mentioned (login.xml and retrieveProperties.xml) don’t exist in that file.

Check LMT\VMMAN\debug folder for the above files and their content.

Also check whether the results with the UUID in the XML file exist in the BES server sha1 directory (as described in step 3. Check whether the results exist in the BES server sha1 directory)

Those XML files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\LMT\VMMAN\debug folder look like the ones that were originally installed. I looked on both the BES server and the server that has the VM Manager tool installed.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
-<S:Envelope xmlns:S="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
-<S:Body>
-<Login xmlns="urn:vim25">
<_this type="SessionManager">#SESSIONMANAGER#</_this>
<userName>#USERNAME#</userName>
<password>#PASSWORD#</password>
</Login>
</S:Body>
</S:Envelope>

The XML files that are on the BES server do have the UUID for the Hyper-V servers, including the ones that are missing some VMs.

The steps listed in the above link use the Logcollector output for the client where the VM Manager is running. Refer to : For more information about how to download the log package, see: Collecting logs for troubleshooting purposes.

Once the logcollector output is available, check the following section: 4. o check whether the result file is available in the BigFix database, go to the log package that was downloaded from Computer Support Data panel and check whether the BIGFIX_Uploads and BIGFIX_uploads_availability files contain the data

For some reason the vm manager upload has reached the root server but the BFI import didn’t process the file

I’ve already been through that, the XML files listed in the troubleshooting document exist in the data archives but they don’t contain any information regarding usernames, passwords or servers. They are the same as the files that are on the server with the VM Manager tool.

When I look at the BIGFIX_Uploads and BIGFIX_uploads_availability files it shows all of the VMMAN files that have been uploaded to the BES server.

I have an open ticket for issues related to this but there hasn’t been a response from HCL since December 7th. I can open another ticket but am not confident I would get any sort of useful resolution.

What is the case # please?
Same VM Manager file names (with sequence 0-9) are used by the tool and they get replaced. To perform end to end data trace,
Identify most recent files generated and uploaded by the VM Manager tool before the most recent BFI import
Trace them up to root server UploadManagerData folder
Note their sequence # in the uploads and uploads_availability tables/data
Review the most recent import log to confirm the import sequence # matches

The file names and sizes listed in the BIGFIX_Uploads.csv file match what is on the BES server in the sha1 folder.

I don’t see any file names listed in the import logs. I looked at many going back a few weeks and none of them contain any file names so I can’t confirm the sequence numbers.

I’m working on getting access to the database itself to look at the tables to see if the data there matches.

Note their sequence # in the uploads and uploads_availability tables/data

The data in the database table matches the files in the sha1 folder and the data in the csv files. Filenames, dates, sizes.

Sorry to ask to repeat these steps, but please do the following.

1. Confirm the guest information in the VM Manager tool output file, under VMMAN\uploads
  2. Run BigFix Inventory task ID: 89 Force VM Manager Tool Scan Results Upload
  3. Confirm the uploaded file exists on the root server and verify the XML file for the guest in question
  4. Restart FillDB service
  5. Note the sequence #s in uploads and uploads_availability tables
  6. Run a manual import
  7. Review the import log to confirm the vm manager files processing

If this still doesn’t resolve, escalate the support case

I just chose one Hyper-V host at random.

The XML file that is on the server that has the VM Manager Tool has 12 unique UUIDs in the “guest_layer” sections. However the host has 18 VMs on it. When I look in BFI it shows me that 6 VMs associated with that host show “No VM Manager Data”.

Why would data from some VMs on a host be collected but not all?

The VM Manager from Inventory is one area I where I haven’t dug in too deeply, but my first thought would be to ensure that the account you’re using for the plug-in has permission to read those VMs. I’d suspect it’s possible that group of VMs has specific permissions configured in Hyper-V to limit access to them, and perhaps your plugin account is not included?

I am not sure about MS Hyper-V but probably works in similar way as VMWare. Usually the ID defined in the BFI-> VM Manager can be used to login to the Hyper-V host. Do you see all the guests when logged in with the ID?
Are there any differences between the guests that are extracted and the guests that are skipped?

Can you please run the VM Manager tool with -retrievedebugdata option and check the logs to see if any information about skipping the guests is logged?

Usually the ID defined in the BFI-> VM Manager can be used to login to the Hyper-V host

The VM Manager is installed on a secondary server, in distributed mode. The credentials are in the configuration files, not BFI → VM Manager.

my first thought would be to ensure that the account you’re using for the plug-in has permission to read those VMs.

Do you see all the guests when logged in with the ID?

Yes, when I log into the Hyper-V server with the account that vmman is configured to use, I can see & manage ALL of the VMs on that host. From what I can see it is not related to permissions.

Are there any differences between the guests that are extracted and the guests that are skipped?

Not that I can see. They were all created around the same time by the same person.

Can you please run the VM Manager tool with -retrievedebugdata option and check the logs to see if any information about skipping the guests is logged

I’ve already done that, there is nothing in any of the logs about data from any guests either being collected or being skipped.

Would you be willing to share the logs folder from the debugdata.zip file? If so please extract the logs folder, zip it and send it to me at Somasekhar.sakunala@hcl.com
Also send me the HCL support case#

I’ve sent you an email, please respond here if you don’t get it within a few hours.