No applicable computers for vCenter Management Extender

I have a small demo environment running on ESXi 6.5 with one 9.5.10 server, a couple relays 9.5.10 and 9.5.9 and another client. Everything is on Windows.

I want to deploy the Management Extender for VMware vCenter (task 801) but I’m unable to get to a point where BigFix will list any machine as an available computer to install the Management Extender on. I was able to successfully deploy the proxy agent on my version 9.5.10 relay using fixlet 3476, which is supposedly the pre-req for the Management Extender, but the relevance for task 801 still apparently won’t resolve to True.

Any ideas?

My approach would be to write an analysis, relevant to the target machine(s) with a property for each of the relevance clauses from the fixlet in question. That shows which clauses return false and you can track down what the fixlet doesn’t like about your target machine.

1 Like

Thanks, that was very useful advice. I got to Relevance clause 3:

(name of operating system as lowercase contains "win" and version of operating system >= "6.0" and version of operating system < "6.4" ) )

All of my endpoints, including the relay I’m deploying to, are Win 10 or Win Server 2016, and so the version number is 10.0.x and this relevance evaluates to false.

I created a new copy of the deployment task 801 and edited that relevance clause to allow Win 10 / 2016 installs. My 9.5.10 relay now shows up as an applicable computer. So my follow up question is: What’s the risk if I go ahead and deploy the vCenter management extender to a Windows 2016 relay?

Well, I got impatient, so I went ahead and initiated the deployment action for vCenter Management Extender. It completed successfully. After that I ran the configuration action and that was successful, too. So I guess the vCenter Management Extender does work on Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10, but task 801 still needs to be updated to reflect that.

I’d recommend not marking this post as “Solved” else it may not get noticed by the Bigfix folks.

@jeremylam since you just fixed a content issue for me, think you can have a look at the relevance for the ‘Deploy Management Extender for VMWare’ relevance?

Thanks @JasonWalker. I removed the Solved tag. I would like to get this actually fixed in the BigFix content, and as a business partner, I’m not able to log a support ticket as a customer would.

I’ve forwarded this thread to the appropriate team.

2 Likes

@jeremylam Any update on this?

Thanks

1 Like