No action selected

(imported topic written by TommyG91)

Warning: This baseline contains components that have no action selected. Action groups taken from this baseline are likely to fail.

I’ve scoured around, but I can’t figure out what I’m supposed to do with this. Not sure how to figure out what fixlets I need to selection an action on, either.

Anyone know?

And I’ve read the “corrupt patch” kb, and STILL don’t understand what I should do with patches in BixFix that say they are corrupt. Can anyone explain this in simple terms?

Thanks

Tom

(imported comment written by Jim23)

When you initially create a baseline with multiple Fixlets it will choose the default action for each. In some cases there are no default actions. This can be the case when there are multiple actions to choose from, there is a very large download, the endpoint requires a reboot or any other bit of important information that you would need to know before blindly accepting the default action in a Fixlet

In existing baselines you can look at the components tab. Each component is expandable. When you expand it you will see the “relevance” and “action” section for those that have an action. For those that “have no action selected”, you will not see an action section, only relevance.

To remedy it you will have to edit the baseline and remove and re-add the component/Fixlet and choose the appropriate action.

(imported comment written by TommyG91)

I have 800 components in my baseline. It took me 3 hours to create it.

BigFix, What’s the workaround?

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Not sure what the answer is, but FYI I think BigFix recommends a max of 250 components to a baseline.

Hello TommyG,

1. Jspanitz is correct. 800 is too many components for a baseline.

2. Here is a way to find all the components that do not have a default action. It will require session relevance.

A. Enable the debug menu in the console: http://support.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/kbdirect.pl?id=508

B. Open the presentation debugger.

C. Use the following query, substituting your baseline name:

(names of components whose (not exist action of it) of component group of bes fixlets whose (baseline flag of it AND name of it = “Windows Baseline”))

This should give you a list of components/Fixlets that do not have an action associated with them.

(Note: The excel connector is another great way to run session relevance queries: http://support.bigfix.com/labs/excelconnect.html)

Thanks for the tip, I will look into this and figure out how I can do this differently. However, I need to be able to report patch compliancy in our company, and I’m not sure how to do that if I don’t have all the required patches in a baseline.

On a side note, I could remove the “superceded” patches from my baseline, if I knew what patch they were superceded by, and make sure those patches were in the baseline. Do you know a query to run to find out this info? Otherwise, I could look each one up on microsoft’s site, I guess.

I am interested as to how you use BigFix to report on patch compliancy. In every company I’ve ever worked, we have always had a set of defined patches required in our environment. With BigFix, I can do this with a baseline, but there are good patch compliancy reports that compare a group of servers to a baseline. I’ve made my own, but it’s very ugly!

Does this help?

http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?pid=14591#14591

That sneaky Lee! I didn’t see that post! Yes, I’m going to try it now.

Ok this may not be pretty and I’m sure there is a better way but it may help you find the superseded patches and what they were superseded by. Typically the first note in the description section of a fixlet contains the information about what it was superseded by. So this query should give you all components in a baseline that were superseded and then the first note in the description, which will most likely contain info about what superseded it.

Be sure to change the name of your baseline:

Session Relevance:

(item 0 of it, preceding text of first “.” of following text of first “Note:” of(item 1 of it as string)) of (names of it, body of it) of (source fixlets whose (name of it as lowercase contains “superseded”) of components of component group of bes fixlets whose (baseline flag of it AND name of it = “Windows Baseline”))

It looks like it works! Thanks! I will play with this and let you know.

Good Day Everyone

this might be an old post but we just had the same issues.

same error , if you go into your baseline ==> select edit

find the component with the Red markings ==> select sync with source : it updated the baseline to use the most recent fixlet

Worked for us

1 Like