Newbie: How to debug relevance for automatic groups?

How can I write and test relevance for automatic group membership, without actually creating a group first?

Is it Custom Filters I should be using?

Coming from SCCM, where there are “Queries” you can write in the console which return relevant computers. These can be used to create rules for group (collection) membership, but the query lets you test first.

This is just normal relevance, so you can use the Fixlet Debugger to test it out: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli+Endpoint+Manager/page/Fixlet+Debugger+(QnA)+Tool

Okaaay… so if i run the fixlet debugger where I have the console installed, will I get a bunch of machine names returned as relevant from the database?

I understand how to debug relevance on a given client - returns true of false for this PC. Is there any way I can test a query and see which clients will evaluate as true? Or can evaluation only occur live on actual clients?

What I usually do is to create an Analysis Property using the same relevance I’d use for the Automatic Group. Clients that report True would have been group members, clients that report False would not.

This only works though if the group is based entirely on relevance. If you are using Property Results (as the wizard builds - like “group membership” etc.), then the relevance is not always known beforehand. In that case I’d create a “test copy” of the group I’m creating\updating, and put it in my operator site where no one else will see it.

1 Like

I shoul note I don’t have WebUI installed, so I don’ have access to Bigfix Query. From what I’ve read here, this would be a good case for Query (it’s like sending a fixlet debugger query to your clients and getting reaponses.)

You can actually use BigFix Query without WebUI now if you go through the RestAPI (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iW7HTqAtIQ) but obviously you will need to write the wrapper for it. The training video references a tool that Lee Wei wrote that can be used but the link in it no longer works and apparently Lee is no longer with IBM, so I couldn’t find the tool myself when I tried…

2 Likes