My Main Server is the only one showing up

Hi Guys,

I’m trying to set up the OSD with no prior experience what so ever o.O trying to be very careful,
so I set up a POC server.
I was able to deploy it as a relay for OS bare metal deployment.
When I go to the “OS Deployment Server Information” in the analyses section it shows up.
Let’s call this server that is the POC server, VM2
and the Master Server its VM1.

when I go check in the health section. I only see VM1 that I can deploy the fixlets…

In the Instructions it says:

“To start working with OS Deployment, run the configuration Fixlets and tasks listed in the Setup Node.”
The BES Server Plugin Service task enables the Upload Maintenance Service. From
the navigation tree, click the task and, when the Fixlet window opens, click in the
Actions box to deploy the plug-in.

so I go to this field and still, nothing shows available. so I think I misread and I ran the "Configure SOAP API for BES Server plug-in Service on the VM1 since its the only server available, since the VM2 does not show as relevant…
any ideas what I’m doing wrong :cry:

assistance greatly appreciated

Only your root server needs the Upload Maintenance Service installed & configured. This is an API task that, among other things, takes care of removing OS images from the server when you delete them from the OSD Image Library dashboard.

How far have you gotten on the new OSD server VM2? You need to have the bigfix Relay installed on it, then use the Bare Metal Server dashboard to install the Bare Metal Server service on it.

Hello,
root servers need Upload Maintenance Service only for versions lower than 9.2.14 if 9.2 or lower than 9.5.9 if 9.5. For these versions and later the fixlet that installs Upload Maintenance Service will not be relevant.
Thanks.

it is 9.5
and why is it relevant tho, if is not needed? (question purely for understanding)

Jason,
I also installed the “Update Server Whitelist for OS Deployment” but only the root server shows as relevant.
I made my OSD(VM2) a relay, then I installed the Baremetal Server

What I’m pending: (still reading about it, but going in the order of the OSD instructions)
MDT bundle creator. (I think its a regular workstation with MDT installed from the MS site)
Create a Windows 10 image
understanding the Driver upload process
full roll out deployment to all site end of POC (fade-out of POC server at this point)

so I havent done much yet :-/

This is also what I deployed last night

I think it’s because it’s lower than 9.5.9. Is it correct?

o yes, it’s 9.5.6.63. I dont know when we would be updating it.

Sounds correct so far. For the next part (MDT Bundle Creator & OS Resources), you’ll need to use the Bundle and Media Manager Dashboard rather than looking for fixlets directly.

Thank you Jason,

I’m trying to deploy the MDT bundle from within the Dashboard, but its failing. so I did a reboot the first time.
attempted again. failed… so I was like why not install the MDT ADK manually. so I did that. and still failing on the 3rd attemp… I mean… instead of fail, shouldnt I get not relevant… did I mess up? :cry:

Can my Baremetal Server (VM2) be the same as the MDT Bundle Creator. or is this Bad practice?
I mean, isn’t the MDT blunder supposed to be installed only so it can extract the tools.

According to the action script, it is performing a check based on WADK being preinstalled on the target. If WADK is not already installed, the baseline action will install it for you; but if it is already preinstalled, it requires several of the WADK features to be present.

In your case, it looks like the target for this action already has WADK installed, but is missing the Windows PE feature.

If you aren’t already using WADK on this host for something else, I think the easiest thing for you would be to uninstall WADK, reboot the machine, and send this action from the Dashboard again. That will allow the server to install the latest version of WADK configured for OS Deployment.

I don’t think that’s a bad practice at all, but it really depends upon your environment.

Ideally, the Bundle Creator machine would be a host somewhere near your management console. After you generate a Bundle, you need to use the Console Dashboard to upload it to the server. Because of the way the console accesses the bundle to generate SHA256 hash values for the bundle, it is really inefficient to access the bundle across a network drive - you should copy it locally to your console machine first, and then upload it through the Bundle & Media Manager dashboard using your local path.

Many deployments have multiple OSD Bare Metal Servers, and those servers should be close to your client targets rather than close to a central server or console workstation. With multiple OSD servers, you still only need one host to generate the MDT bundles that would be used by all of them, hence those are shown separately.

I’m not why I was thinking that I would be able to configure a VM with plain windows fully patch. then PXE boot the VM into the BigFix options and be able to select capture image.

OK, Im sure im missing a way to capture the WIM

I’d strongly recommend you use a virtual machine for your capture - it’s nice to have a VM snapshot handy before you try to capture, because if there’s a problem in Sysprep you have to start over.

You’d need to install the OS and Bigfix client. Once you have it patched, configured, (and snapshotted), I’m pretty sure there’s a Capture dashboard (away from my console and can’t look now). The Wizard asks where to save the captured WIM file (a network share and credentials). When you complete the Wizard, it sends an action to the client. It copies a bootable WinPE image to the client, runs Sysprep on it, reboots into the WinPE, executes the capture, and copies the captured WIM to the share you specified.

Once that’s done, copy the WIM image and associated info files to your console machine, and upload it to Bigfix using the Image Library dashboard. Once uploaded, create a Bare Metal profile for it and ‘Send Profile’ to your bare metal server.

Then you can boot additional clients into PXE to download the image to them.

I’m assuming here that I have to Sysprep the System. or does BigFix do the Sysprep for you?
I also looked in the console and I didnt find anywhere to snapshot the VM.
Unless Im misunderstanding and its a snapshot of the Hyper-V VM that I have created the Windows 10 patched and all.

You don’t need to run sysprep, the action that is generated from the Capture dashboars will run sysprep for you.

Yes, when I say snapshot I mean a snapshot taken from Hyper-V, VMWare, VirtualBox, or whatever virtualization tool you are using. Bigfix does not do that part for you.

and last Dumb question. do you put the system in Audit mode?

And I’m looking at the Capture Wizard and there are certain sections that are grayed out like (2,3) and (1) is empty :confounded:

I think I know what I’m missing. I’m too excited and jumping steps.
so I guess my question is
the difference between this one below

v Create both MDT bundle and OS resources

what is “Create a new MDT bundle only”
MDT Bundle
An MDT bundle is a collection of Windows Pre-installation Environment
(WinPE) files, a Deployment engine (MDT), and OS resources that are
needed for the installation of a Windows operating system. MDT is a tool
that allows the definition of a sequence of steps that are required to deploy
the operating system. The tool runs within WinPE. The OS resources are packaged starting from an operating system installation CD. The MDT
Bundle is created on the MDT Bundle Creator machine and uploaded into
the OS Deployment environment. Typically, you need to create a bundle
only once.

I’m still confuse >.< what does this do. is it like the needed files to capture an image?

what is " Create new OS resources only"
is this like a regular Windows 10 ISO? what if its a multy version ISO like home, education, pro, enterprise…

The MDT Bundle contains portions of MDT, unattend.xml, sysprep, USMT, and things like that to manage reimaging.

OS Resources are things like Windows PE.

You can create both together, or separately.

In rare cases you might customize the MDT workflows, and then not want your changes overwritten when you step up to a higher WinPE.

You don’t need OS resources for each edition. In fact, you can only have one of each WinPE present - a new PE10 will overwrite existing PE10, a new PE4 will overwrite existing PE4.