MSI Repairs via Control Panel

We switched from SCCM to BigFix for application deployment a little over a year ago. We’ve been running into issues with running application repairs via Control Panel. The repair option seems to store the BigFix cache location for reference, so if the cache has been cleared, the repair will fail. I don’t recall ever seeing this in SCCM, but I may be mistaken. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, what route did you take to avoid failures? (Store all MSI installers locally? Disable repair button via registry?) Sorry if this was a dumb question, and thanks in advance!

I can’t say I’ve ever seen much use for the ‘repair’ option, but you might consider leaving the Software Deployment action open (whether an Offer or a normal action). If the end-user uninstalls the application entirely, the machine would become relevant to the action again and either reinstall or re-display the Offer.

Alternatively, if you’re writing the installation task you could move the MSI install media somewhere local before running the installer, though that obviously would consume more disk space.

1 Like