MSI execution error 1603

Msi is working fine silently with /qn swithch.

While deploying through Bigfix action completed with exit code 1603 and software not installed.

tried to execute this batch file as well but no luck.

wait cmd.exe /c “cd c:\tmp\file & c:\tmp\file\tax.bat”

executed log to check issue

wait msiexec /i C:\abc\tax_office.msi /q /l*v C:\abc\msilog.txt /qn

getting below error in the log.

SI © (B4:0C) [07:18:37:439]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
=== Verbose logging stopped: 7/7/2021 7:18:37 ===

Error 1603 usually indicates that the MSI engine detected a newer version of the product already installed on the machine.

there is no component installed for this msi, and no issue with manual installation

Then it is probably an issue with the security profile of the BigFix Client, which runs as LocalSystem. I would look for documentation from the publisher of the software on installing it for all users, since it runs fine when you install it as a normal user.

You might try disabling 32-bit redirection. Add this line somewhere in your action script before the ‘waithidden’ command

action uses wow64 redirection false

I used action uses wow64 redirection false on my action script but still getting the same error.

action uses wow64 redirection false
waithidden msiexec /i C:\abc\corptax_office.msi /q /l*v C:\abc\msilog.txt /qn
Log

You can also try to install “as the user” with the Override commands in your action script.
https://developer.bigfix.com/action-script/reference/execution/override.html

override wait
completion=job
hidden=true
runas=currentuser
wait msiexec /i C:\abc\tax_office.msi /q /l*v C:\abc\msilog.txt /qn

override wait
completion=job
hidden=true
runas=currentuser
wait msiexec /i C:\abc\corptax_office.msi /q /l*v C:\abc\msilog.txt /qn

Still getting the same error message , strange it’s well install manually silent /qn switch

Any thought to fix this issue please ?

It appears to be a problem with the MSI running, not necessarily with BigFix itself, so our insights here may be limited. You should contact the vendor for support.

That said the easiest way to troubleshoot would be to use psexec (from microsoft.com/sysinternals ) to open a shell under the SYSTEM account and run the MSI install interactively to see whether it gives any useful error messages.

Psexec.exe -i -s CMD.exe

1 Like

Thanks Jason,

Please assist used the below command is this correct if yes its stuck on running stage…

wait cmd.exe /k C:\windows\system32\psexec.exe -s C:\abc\corptax_office.msi /qn

wait Psexec.exe -i -s CMD.exe C:\abc\corptax_office.msi /qn

Psexec doesn’t come with Windows by default.
I mean to troubleshoot the MSI package, download psexec, log on to the machine, open a command prompt, use psexec to open a command prompt in SYSTEM context, and use that SYSTEM command prompt to run your installer.
Not silently. Just run the installer and see whether the installer gives a useful error message

1 Like