MS18-JUN: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 - Windows 10 Version 1607 - KB4284880 (x64)

Hi,

I am looking for the list of possible exit codes.

we are deploying microsoft patches for June and found that “MS18-JUN: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 - Windows 10 Version 1607 - KB4284880 (x64)” returning “exit code 5” for most of the endpoints.

looking if this is common issue with this patch.

Those would be Microsoft exit codes. Access Denied for 0x5 I believe. Perhaps you are not deploying the patches as System User?

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply AlexaVonTess,

Not sure why we are getting this error though we are deploying the patches as Admin user.

Check your windows update logs and the cbs log on the affected endpoint. That’s pretty much the standard troubleshooting for any WUA issue recommended by Microsoft.

Is windows update service enabled on the machines?

Agreed, CBS.LOG is the first place to look.

In my environment a we block access to USB Flash Drives by denying System:Read to usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf, which can cause similar patch failures with “access denied”. If you are doing anything similar in your policy, it’s pretty clear in the cbs.log

1 Like

This could be the issue

Important Note: Before applying this Fixlet, ensure that the servicing stack update (KB4132216) is installed to avoid failed installations. Note: Affected computers may report back as ‘Pending Restart’ once the update has run successfully, but will not report back their final status until the computer has been restarted.

yes, windows update service is enabled on the machines

@satkumar do you say KB4284880 is dependent on KB4132216 to be successfully applied

The article for KB4284880 mentions KB4132216 as a prerequisite.

"Prerequisite: The servicing stack update (SSU) (KB4132216) must be installed before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU) (KB4284880). "

1 Like

Yes - please try installing the prerequisite (KB4132216)) and reboot. Then try to install the update

Old post, but also note that these patches don’t work on Windows 10 Pro. MS dropped support for 1607, and only extended it for Enterprise and Education SKUs.